• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Making a 940 handle

redblockpowered

bad username length
Last weekend, I autocrossed my 944 for the first time and found the chassis to be... sloppy, to say the least. Turn in was limp wristed and it felt like all the car wanted to do was load the outside front tire and plow. What have you guys done to dial out some of the understeer? Specifically looking more for autocross/trackday experience as I'm not building a race car and I don't trust that handling limits can really be pushed on the street. Right now the car is as I bought it save a pair of Bilstein Tourings and overload springs in the rear.

Yeah camber mod and upper and lower strut braces and front IPD bar and kerplunky end links on the bar. I just did all that on my 95 940 turbo wagon. Makes it handle way better.

Definitely do the Kaplhenke camber plates early on. Those not only allow for camber but they greatly reduce the binding when loading the suspension. No other changes on mine at that time, the difference was tremendous. Good springs and struts/shocks will go a long ways as well as bars.

My 88 765T has 24mm front bar from 92 960 sedan and 19mm rear bar from 87 760 sedan. 5mm difference front to rear. Fairly good balance but not into racing it.

I was just getting ready to mention those 960 braces. They are cheap new but easy to find at the yards as well. The W brace helps a little but going with something that triangulates the front end, between the radius rod mounts and the center of the front crossmember makes a much bigger difference, especially under braking. The side to side is a little better, but without that brace on mine the front end feels like mush since I'm used to having a lower brace on there.

Back