• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

'89 244 - From Low Car To Go Car.

TurboDenny

Why am I here?
Most recent picture goes here:

Current mods:

Engine
B230F with what we think is an IPD turbo cam

Working on a T6 swap

Drivetrain
M47 swap
7\9 series carrier bearing
Homer's short throw shifter
STS bronze shifter bushings

Suspension/Brakes
2 coils cut out in front, 0 rear
Kaplhenke hybrid torque rods
IPD 25/25 sway bars
Cadillac ATS BBK w\ SN95 master cylinder

Wheels & Tires.
BBS LM 17x8/9 et40 with 38mm adapters (effective et+2)
Federal SS-595 235/40R17 rubber

I picked the car up from Ohio in November of 2014 with 108k miles on the clock. It had cut IPD springs and some terrible steel trailer wheels.

So I opted for some Kaplhenke suspension goods, and installed the factory wheels again. Got the car to stage 0

Decided I was far too fancy for steel wheels and refinished a set of RS for the car, and swapped in an M46 with a bum overdrive to rid myself of the autotragic.

After a few months I got tired of beating the subframe to death and consequently returned the car to factory trim.

This weekend, however, I got a wild hair up my ass. Dragged the engine out in prep for turbo, a T5 swap, and some good cleaning.

Will retain a factory shortblock for now since everything looked and functioned very well. Turbo is an eBay t3/t4 .50 trim, fresh turbo head, unknown camshaft, DeeWorks T5 adapter, Billet flywheel and clutch setup from JohnV, and chips from TLAO. Should wake the car up quite a bit hopefully. Will be ordering all the suspension goods shortly, but for now I just hope to get it done for a car show on the 15th.

Last edited:
I would love those trailer wheels on an older less shiny car. Love what you've done so far. Looking forward to seeing you kick this car's ass. :)

Very nice to see you on Tbricks, I follow you on IG and love your car, excited to see the motor stuff start to happen! hopefully if I ever make it back to Indiana(home) in my Volvo I could see yours! Also where were the pictures taken with the corn fields? obviously most of Indiana is like that but still curious to as what town!

Very nice to see you on Tbricks, I follow you on IG and love your car, excited to see the motor stuff start to happen! hopefully if I ever make it back to Indiana(home) in my Volvo I could see yours! Also where were the pictures taken with the corn fields? obviously most of Indiana is like that but still curious to as what town!

Thanks man! Definitely if you ever make it back around here we can meet up. All of the photos were taken in Mooresville, where I reside.

Got the engine and trans back in the car tonight. Will modify the crossmember and driveshaft tomorrow hopefully. I still need to adjust the valves, and figure out an exhaust. Only 1 week till show time!

Little wash before disassembly.

Re-sealed the entire long block, and had the head refinished.

1/2" NPT oil return

Ran into a small issue getting the plug out of the block for the turbo oil feed. Couldn't drill this well again if my life depended on it, but got it out without issue.

All ready to go back in. I didn't paint anything. I cleaned everything well, and enjoy the 28 years of patina.

JVAB billet flywheel & Kennedy 228mm stage 2 clutch. Sad something so pretty resides in a bellhousing.

Stabbed the tranny and all is well!

Lookin good! I'm originally from Elkhart if you know where that is, ill be back out there this summer, motor and everything is looking great! I'm jealous of that trans, but I ran into the same issue with the oil feed, that little plug was nerve racking i stripped the alen side and had to extract it out, needless to say i was worried but it came out fine after that!

Awesome to see another local build! Look forward to following along! Doing the same swap in my 122.

Thanks,

Looks great. I am in the area too. Just finished a b230ft swap in my daily and almost done with the b230 +16vt on my 242. Can't wait for summer!

JVAB billet flywheel & Kennedy 228mm stage 2 clutch. Sad something so pretty resides in a bellhousing.
[url=https://flic.kr/p/Tr22tc]

What is the purpose of those standoffs for the clutch?
Isn't there a deeper pressure plate that could do the job?

I'm sure the bolts are good quality, and everything is balanced as an assembly and all that, but all the torque of the engine is going to try to tip all those columns over.

(yes I know that when the clutch is engaged the assembly as a whole transmits the torque, but within the assembly, the loads have to be shared)

I'm not picking on what you picked, but I suggest you really think twice about what you have, and consider replacing the columns with a machined ring.

See post #451 in this thread for what I'm talking about and a more "traditional" clutch assembly.
http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=290558&page=19

What is the purpose of those standoffs for the clutch?
Isn't there a deeper pressure plate that could do the job?

I'm sure the bolts are good quality, and everything is balanced as an assembly and all that, but all the torque of the engine is going to try to tip all those columns over.

(yes I know that when the clutch is engaged the assembly as a whole transmits the torque, but within the assembly, the loads have to be shared)

I'm not picking on what you picked, but I suggest you really think twice about what you have, and consider replacing the columns with a machined ring.

See post #451 in this thread for what I'm talking about and a more "traditional" clutch assembly.
http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=290558&page=19

If that much lateral force was present wouldn't you be more concerned about the bolts shearing? I know it's a drastic comparison, but top fuel clutches are assembled in a similar manner. Not saying you're wrong, I'm no engineer, but I trust John wouldn't be selling clutches with such a blatant design flaw.

Feel free to hit me with some knowledge.

Last edited:
Awesome to see another local build! Look forward to following along! Doing the same swap in my 122.

Thanks,

Looks great. I am in the area too. Just finished a b230ft swap in my daily and almost done with the b230 +16vt on my 242. Can't wait for summer!

So many Hoosiers appear! Hopefully I'll see you around sometime at a meet or something. Thanks!

Well, it runs! kind of... Doesn't want to idle unless I unplug the MAF. Hopefully it's not faulty. Any ideas on things to check? Has good vacuum when it does idle.

On the bright side I picked up a couple sets of wheels for it. Will upload some pics later on.

Well, it runs! kind of... Doesn't want to idle unless I unplug the MAF. Hopefully it's not faulty. Any ideas on things to check? Has good vacuum when it does idle.

Mine did the same thing, just change the MAF and be down the road. Odds are it's bad if the car runs when it's unplugged.

I had the exact same issue. I never did find out what the problem was. I did a b230ft swap with the computers and all and it runs fine now. Same MAF as before as well.

I glanced over everything this morning and noticed my IAC motor is pulling air from the atmosphere. Guess I'll need to fix that!

Last edited:
Back