• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

240 Nozzle windshield washer cleaning 1991 Wagon

BigDave

I'm sure this has probably appeared in another thread... but I had no luck finding that one.

I do recall seeing; either on this forum or elsewhere, someone mentioned using a #73 (0.024" [0.610mm]) twist drill to clean out the nozzle port.

Well, I happened to remember, I had this miniature drill bit set I'd picked up at Hobby Lobby a few years back. Found it in the model building tools area. Made by Excel, aluminum housing/handle stores the bits inside.

I think a #73 bit would probably fit better, didn't appear that size was in this small tool, but there was a #72 (0.025" [0.635mm] per my 20.00 digital calipers) bit and it fit quite nicely.

I also found that a 3/32" drill fit well to clean out the nozzle hose barb under the hood.

I first pulled the line off the pump to verify it was working. I then proceeded to confirm there was no blockage in the lines by disconnecting them from both nozzles... yep, definitely stopped up nozzles.

Not wanting to attempt to remove the nozzles (everything plastic on this '91 is brittle as can be. I used the #72 bit to remove a bunch of junk in the nozzle from the spray side, still stopped up. I then took the 3/32" bit and lightly reamed out the barb side of the nozzle... butt loads of junk and gunk.

Before reconnecting everything, I blew the nozzles out from the sprayer side with about 60psi from the compressor and viola, clogs cleared.

BUT... the nozzles were spraying nearly at the lower edge of the windshield. To address that, I reversed the #72 drill bit turning the flutes in reverse and chucking it back into the pin vise type handle. Did this to try and make the bit a little stronger plus not effect the flutes. With the drill bit chucked, I inserted it back into the nozzle sprayers and found it worked quite well to aim the sprayers. BUT BE CAREFUL, one sprayer nozzle took a little more coaxing, be gentle or you'll snap that #72 bit. I had a magnetic pick up tool handy just in case that happened to I could hopefully extract the bit from the nozzle.

Hope this helps,
BigDave

Good info. I only had the sprayer side of the nozzle ever clog. I used a sturdy sewing needle to clean it out.

We just used wire ties (like bread tie).

- ignite end with lighter.
- allow to burn half way off
- extinguish flame
- wipe residue
- straighten wire
- insert into nozzle
- push and twist repeatedly until nozzle is cleared.

I've always just extracted the nozzels and stuck a garden hose hard against them and blew them out.

Sucking works too.... If you like a mouth full of gunk....

Back