• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

'75 245: my quest for a unique and fun DD

PRVersion

regretting name change
S6303089.jpg

S6300463.jpg

S6300462.jpg

S6300467.jpg

*shudder*

S6300469.jpg

S6300468.jpg

slapped some c-list $100 specials on it, wheels are ugly but the tires are a pretty nice brand new set.

S6300465.jpg

S6300466.jpg

i bought the car from another bricker who had enough projects on his hands already for $500. went out and dinked with it a dew times at his place, but had it towed home in the end. i went straight to work on the kjet bits and soon ran into this:

DSCF2388.jpg

so then i get out of the car and find the following carnage

DSCF2387.jpg

DSCF2386.jpg

yes, it backfired so hard that it blew the bellows onto the neighbor's roof, as well as blowing the intake tube to shreds and bending the **** out of the fuel dizzy plate.

after more tinkering, and a failed attempt at swapping in the kjets from a b21, i decided i'd just go carbed on the damn thing for now.

75-1.jpg

engine1.jpg

polyteaser.jpg

poly installed in updated torque rods

75-3.jpg

75-1-1.jpg

75-2.jpg

S6303250.jpg

S6303251.jpg

S6303252.jpg

S6303254.jpg

S6303255.jpg

S6303256.jpg

S6303257.jpg

S6303258.jpg

S6303259.jpg

S6303260.jpg

S6303261.jpg

S6303262.jpg

anything painted white is just primered for the sake of de-rusting while i was putting new bushings in. after i fix the holes in the floor i will re-apply some undercoating to them.

here are some fresh pics of installed chokes and general current status:

S6300002-1.jpg

this seemed like a nice spot to put the choke pull.

S6300003-1.jpg

d'oh, hood is popped. :-P

S6300004-1.jpg

S6300005-1.jpg

the little double-cable hingey part is from an 1800. the bracket i've screwed it to is a coolant reservior bottle mount from an early 240 turbo :-P its a little on the ghetto side, but once i get a strut brace in there i'll be bolting it to that.

S6300006-2.jpg

uh oh.

S6300007-1.jpg

B28 from an '80 bertone. both the manuals i have confirm that for whatever reason, the '80 engines had more valve lift. not sure why. and i believe it was 78 or 79 that bumped compression to 8.7:1 instead of 8.3:1, so that helps a tiny bit, too.

the current plan is to get this engine shacked-up with a T-5 trans and get the motor back closer to the firewall where it belongs, instead of hanging over the front axle. i'm waiting on RSI for the adapter plate as we speak. initially i will be running a rochester 2GC carb, the advice of the owner of a local place called "Grumpy's Performance". i told him it was for a DeLorean (better he think i'm doing something worthwhile instead of working on a volvo :lol:) and he said that the carb can support good power, can be tuned for excellent drivability, can achieve pretty good mileage, parts are filthy cheap, and any idiot can tune one.

S6304007.jpg

S6304005.jpg

S6304004.jpg

i got this one on ebay for $17 shipped. it was a rebuilt unit some shop had on the shelf for too many years. looks like fun to me.

updates will happen as they happen to the car. i have a set of gaskets and such i'll be putting into this engine, along with a new timing chain and a set of alloy rockers. not too sure how i'm going to degrease this thing yet, i may just find a local place and have the nasty thing hot tanked. depends on the cost, and whether or not my boss ****s his pants when i ask if i can hoist it over the solvent tank and go to town on it :rofl:

The new rimz are fugly imo. :-(

yeah yeah, i know. i had a set of 15x7 BBS meshes for it, but they were either stolen from behind my ex's apartment after i moved out (but before i could come back and get them) or she sold them and lied about it. so it's getting hydras until i can afford something cooler.

PRV it will be I guess?:cool:

indeed. :nod:

just for fun. untimely alternator death (lol just kidding, it was 35 years old) lead to head scratching and ****ing around, the half-installed in the car right now is a 90amp model from a 16v vw. i finished the tensioner arm today and will be finalizing the install tomorrow, with pics to come.

Carb'd PRV 5sp to come?
Subscribed so I can live vicariously.

I badly want to do this. California says otherwise.

Nice to see someone still using the PRV V6.

Do you have a stock inlet manifold to use with the new carb? The Renault 30 had a single carb version, or maybe one was available from an Eagle model or something?

I found the K-jet engines prone to high bore wear anyway, but what about some of the later EFI systems from some of the later derivatives? ... or go to a later even-fire motor (with possible sump alteration)?

I've wondered about swapping in the drivetrain from a wrecked Nissan 350Z....?

Carb'd PRV 5sp to come?
Subscribed so I can live vicariously.

I badly want to do this. California says otherwise.

find a '75 and dooooo eeeet. comically enough, i have to DEQ this thing but it's a non catalyst car...so i doubt they're going to be all that restrictive about what comes out of it :-P i figure if i can't get it to pass i'll put a damn cat on it and it will probably be fine.

Do you have a stock inlet manifold to use with the new carb?

oh you mean this thingy?

PICT0130.jpg

that center piece is largely useless and will not be part of the finished manifold, but ths is the B27a intake manifold, i'm told it used a rather anemic pierburg carb.

Seriously, I 'bout cried when I found this thread. Seeing all the great parts you are throwing her way, keeping her appreciated. I think where you put the choke pull is where it was intended to be for sure. My favorite picture is the intake stuff blasted onto the roof, glad no one was hurt!

Seriously, I 'bout cried when I found this thread. Seeing all the great parts you are throwing her way, keeping her appreciated.

well thanks for the good deal. ;-) this one's a winner, i think i'll be keeping it a while.

oh and finished alternator install:

S6300154.jpg

crappy pic, not sure what the cam was trying to focus on. but you can almost see how the belt lines up perfectly :-P

S6300152.jpg

i like it.

Last edited:
Good stuff!

I got my 245 with a busted intake hose just like yours. Bought a new one from the dealer for $45 and had myself a running car.

attachment.php

is that an m46???

nope, M40. if it were M46 i'd have already put an M41 behind it and sold the super-rare bellhousing for cash to fund the T-5 swap :-P

here's the sweet belly pan the car came with, i finally got around to installing it today. :oops: i'm hoping that with the addition of this and the deletion of the roof rack i'll pick up a mpg or two on the freeway.

S6300184.jpg

S6300185.jpg

it's steel, and pretty solidly built. i massaged a couple dents out of it before installing, down the line i may add some extra bracing inside to make it even stronger.

Back