• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Eco-Bricks - 35+mpg club

boostdemon

creative mastermind
Ok, lets get some rules and test criteria figured out...

• 35mpg highway
  • mods must be permanent (no duct tape and cardboard)
  • must have a planned route with gas receipts (times and miles)

what else?

I can just about get that from driving the highway in my 88 245...Will I get a green name or something? how do we get verified?

Should we have a determined distance and speed limits? Like you have to go at least X miles at X miles per hour?

originally i had thought about doing an average of 3 tanks of gas back to back but then realized that you would have to do some serious driving to do that all highway. so i'm thinking just 1 tank minimum.

the road trip outline should prove miles and the gas receipts will prove gallons, times, and locations.

35 US or 42 imperial UK is pretty easy with a diesel, so presumably we're talking gas? Perhaps there should be a correction factor for E85 and LPG alternative fuels as these per definition will get less mileage than a high spec petrol.

35 US or 42 imperial UK is pretty easy with a diesel, so presumably we're talking gas? Perhaps there should be a correction factor for E85 and LPG alternative fuels as these per definition will get less mileage than a high spec petrol.
Yeah. For E85, reduce the mpg with 33%.

I got all hopeful when I saw 35mpg as that's my target for driving down through France with 2 kayaks on the roof... then remembered that US Gallons are smaller than UK gallons (surprised they've not supersized them yet...)

OK, I'm in!

I already have a few mods planned...Eventually I plan to replace K-Jet with LH2.2, change AW55 to an AW7x and a 3.54 rear end. Yep, it will be super slow but at least it will last longer on a tank of gas. My last tank averaged a little over 20.5 mpg.

35 mpg U.S. is equal to 42 mpg Imperial.
35 mpg Imperial is equal to 29.15 mpg U.S.

We need to convince Mobil to bring back the
Mobil Economy Run. 1964 Buick commercial crowing about their wins in class.

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/GHtH9B_4Ujw&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/GHtH9B_4Ujw&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

Last edited:
yeah it doesnt matter if its diesel, E85, veggie, woodburning, steam, electric hybrid, natural gas hybrid, etc... the standard will be the same. The idea is to get some ideas of what to build to get 35+mpg.

My GT doesn't have an odometer. so Its out. but I will tell of a previous setup on my GT when it did have odometer.

'79 242 GT body.
'84 B23F 10.3:1 CR
B cam
Cone air filter with metal tubing to place the filter in the front just behind the grille.
LH 2.0. with breakerless ignition system from my original GT setup.
Exhaust was pretty much the IPD sport system. with gutted cat.
Car was lowered with skid pan in place (important for aerodynamics. )
the intake manifold I releifed the injector bosses a bit on the inside of the runners and put a swirl cut into the runners. put a knife edge on the throttle plate.

I think that does it for mods.
I always carried abunch of stuff with me. 2 x 12inch subs in big heavy box. spare parts and big tool box. spare tire and such.

even had the M46 still in it.
My rear end was also switched from the 411 ratio to the 373 I think I still have ATF as the lubricant in the rear end also.

I seemed to have pulled 35mpg hwy on this setup a couple of years before I switched to a +T and ruined my milage.

My Diesel kicks ass. I seem to get 26 city and 38 hwy I have had it upto 44mpg when I first got this swap going. oh I run b99 most the time, with better results with b99.

I know I am supposed to submit evidence of this all I was just recounting what I had done in the past with my GT which suprised me and other I have showed. I will get some proof of the Diesel's Mpg here in a while. thank you.

Does it have to be gas receipts or can we use scan gauge/trip meter readings?

Not Scan Gauge, gas receipts and miles. I could adjust mine at fill up that would show 10 to 15 mpg better than what the car is really getting.

Back