• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

project '82: 760 16VT swap (picture heavy)

what's up with that allignment! looks like you're driving strait...

Was a fast corner, not much steering required.

Hot damn. I've never seen a 700 with manual windows or, for that matter, a manual transmission (Edmonton, Alberta, Canada).

Green interior on the green hell. I am jealous (won't make another green pun).

Haha, the green suits the exterior so I like it, and we have plenty of manual window volvo's over here.

700's are the new 200's :-P
:nod:

Meanwhile, whilst mounting the TCU correclty (the mounting bracket actually fits the 1982 mounting points!) I swapped it for another unit, just because I was lazy to swap the bracket from one unit to the other..

Drove a bit, car felt slower then on the Ring (on the Ring it easily did 200 km/h on the straight). Started wondering what was wrong, but then I remembered the TCU swap...
Seems like I mounted the TCU for a 950 ecu (white label one). Hopefully this solves the problem.. will test it in the next days.

Also ordered a aluminium IC from KL-racing in Sweden, so preformance wise I'm good to go for a while (although I also want a truetrac). I now need to start looking at some rust prevention and the exterior for next year.

Still in doubt how I'm going to solve the exterior, touch it up or do a respray...

Choices, choices...

Still in doubt how I'm going to solve the exterior, touch it up or do a respray...

nothing to gain performance wise so choose what's best for the least amount of money OR buy my 740 GLT blackline with perfect exterior and 9" borbets and swap everything over :)

Hi,

those noises you mentioned are totally normal cause theres no pilotbearing which is the same problem also on the 850 when this noise occurs...

BTW thats the reason why volvo installed a 2massflywheel together with gasoline engines on the M90.. The m90 diesel95+ doesnt mattered cause it was overnoising the grindinglike sound..

I for my self also have this loud noise.. what you can try is.. pull the clutch and listen to the noise disappearing.. man youre driving a volvo.. if theres a noise turn up the music :D

nothing to gain performance wise so choose what's best for the least amount of money OR buy my 740 GLT blackline with perfect exterior and 9" borbets and swap everything over :)

Borbets?:cool: Why weren't you at the EU5.0 meet?:grrr:

Which one did you order?

The ''60mm med AC version'' comes in under ?250,- (with shipping)

those noises you mentioned are totally normal cause theres no pilotbearing which is the same problem also on the 850 when this noise occurs...

I've read that yeah, but it is still annoying.. You don't hear it when you drive at a constant pace

if theres a noise turn up the music :D

Best solution for all volvo rattles:nod:

Meanwhile, the KL-racing IC arrived:
PA134425.jpg

PA134428.jpg

Needs a little bit attention with a small grinder, but seems like a solid unit. We'll see when it goes in.

Also have a 2nd cam cover that is getting blasted, so when that's ready I can look into swapping the cams. During all this we're also trying to get LH2.4 to do what we want..

The clutch is doing perfect, very good bite when shifting fast so I'm happy

Last edited:
Also have a 2nd cam cover that is getting blasted, so when that's ready I can look into swapping the cams. During all this we're also trying to get LH2.4 to do what we want..

I've finished it saturday! Looks very nice. ;-)

Update!

The weather is getting better, so time to start planning mods and maintenance..

I won't make the list too long this time, so I can try to actually finish all the jobs.
- Move battery into trunk
- Install engine heater
- Install new dashboard
- Fix rust when interior is out for battery and dashboard
- Install new shocks and springs for the rear (springs already acquired)
- New windshield
- Touch up paint as an exercise
- Extra bracket for exhaust
- Install PZ cams and paint new valve cover
- Tune LH more

Maintenance is not much more as changing oil..

Drove the car very little last months, we did experiment with the injector constants etc. This has made a good improvement already.

I also bought an aluminium battery tray/holder

P2204606.jpg

Really nice part to fit a standard battery, it will go in the right butt cheek of the car (since fuel tank and driver are on the right)

Also made a short video of the exhaust sound (sounds like a boxer engine..)

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/BArTSQ-xutc?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Also made a short video of the exhaust sound (sounds like a boxer engine..)
Does it always sound like that? It seems like it's either on 2/3 cylinders or is misfiring because of how lean/rich it is, lol. Does sound cool though.

Does it always sound like that? It seems like it's either on 2/3 cylinders or is misfiring because of how lean/rich it is, lol. Does sound cool though.

lol, when I heared the video for the first time I thought someone had secretly put a Briggs & Stratton engine in it:lol:

But it runs fine on all four cylinders and in real life you and it sounds normal. Maybe it's because I put the camera on the gravel or something.
And afrs are just fine

I hate photobucket for not resizing the picture correctly...:grrr:

Update:

Few weeks ago I changed the speakers in the rear volvo ht-xxx housings for some new ones I got from Ruben (Thanks!). Very good improvement in sound quality.

Last week I finally went to a repair shop for a new windshield. Also put on new clips and the best chrome surroundings I have.

Result:
P7294811.jpg

In the first week of July I dropped of some interior parts at a local company to flock them, since the old green dash and ''a pillar'' plastcis were very tired I got hold of some later 740 parts. To stay in the green theme of the car they are flocked green:lol: Sort of a green hell now:-P It's darker as original, but that's good so it won't reflect as much.

P7294814.jpg

Picture with flash makes it more ugly:roll:
P7294812.jpg

Fixed some sloppy wiring, still need to address the electric windows tomorrow, and some other small stuff. Also cleaned many of the air ducting and other things.

Since I needed to put the wiring back and I had demolished the small rings that actually hold the straps to the dash I made an M4 thread on the existing pins, so I could then use a small nut and washer.

P7284797.jpg

Since the car failed its MOT last week, we also fixed some rust (more to come in the future, but this was the nastiest sh*t... my brother JW has spent many hours on making really nice inserts that fit so well you hardly see the repairs. Got a welder? You got friends:-D Just need to paint some more etc.

As it was (front left wheel well)
P7274782.jpg

P7264781.jpg

Fixing it:
P7274788.jpg

Now:
P7284804.jpg

P7284808.jpg

Will be finished tomorrow.
The other spot in the chassis is already done. Pics later.

For the meet on Sunday I will finish the interior (install radio etc.) and check some mechanical parts. It has been a mad last week, but a deadline like MOT and EU meet sure works wonders..:)

Next plans is install the battery in the trunk (all parts are there, need time). Also bought a small spray gun and paint (code 178) to touch up some spots. This car is presenting itself as a time consuming learning object...;-)

ZOMG so jealous of the flocked dash. I have been trying to find a place to do that in the states for years.

ZOMG so jealous of the flocked dash. I have been trying to find a place to do that in the states for years.

You can do it yourself, it's really easy to do. Just cover everything with the appropriate glue, put on the flocking powder and shake off the excess; messy but not hard.

Back