• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Going broke and lovin' it - 242 Turbo build

Curious to how you're routing your oil drain if you're willing to share those details/pictures.

Nice work as always. Hope you haven't forgotten about the 265. ;-)

Curious to how you're routing your oil drain if you're willing to share those details/pictures.

Nice work as always. Hope you haven't forgotten about the 265. ;-)

About that routing, i've discussed it with a befriended Volvo-guy who sold me all the things as he switched from doing a 16v build to a M60 V8 build.

His plan was:
- AN10 from the Yoshifab adapterplate to the catchcan
- AN8 from the oilcap to the catchcan
- Route the return to the Yoshifab Adapterplate.

My "problem" is, that i really don't like the old style oilcaps (which he modified). Also it doesn't seal as good as the newer ones.

So i'm planning on welding a AN-thread on the camshaftcover, or buy a newer style oilcap with a AN plug. and run that to the Catchcan and cap the 'return' on the adapterplate off.

So i wont use the intake pressure to create a vacuum, i will vent to air using the filter on top of the catchcan.

Also, i'm not going to run a return-line from the catchcan to the adapterplate. It has to be mounted high in the enginebay for that and i really don't like the looks of that. So i'm going to empty the catchcan on a 'regular' base.

Hopefully it won't be that much, but if it's a lot i'll create a return-line.

About that 265, i haven't forgotten about it. It's just really far down the "To do list".
The current list is:
- Swap the M90 transmission in the 245.
- Swap the M46 that comes out the 245 into the 244, so that's fixed and ready to go!
- Fix the 242 and make it run.
- Start working on the 265 (welding, rollcage etc)

I've collected most of the M90-swap parts, so hopefull i can start the swap this saturday.
2e42089c99.png

6758aef58d.png

Things that i've ordered for the M90 swap:
- MKM Shortshifter
- New hydraulic master cylinder out of a Volvo 260
- New hydraulic slave cylinder out of a 940
- Lightend 60-2 dogdish flywheel (bought from the same guy that sold me the catchcan setup)
- New clutch out of a 940 TDIC
- New pressureplate
- New M90 Seals
- New ATF Fluid
- New braided line for hydraulic clutch
- AN3 fittings
- M12x1 fittings
- Classic-swede M90 > M47 bracket
- Retroturbo driveshaft adapter (also use it on the 242) to be used with a M47 driveshaft.

Oh, mein fehler! :oops:
Apologies as I should have further specified, the routing of the turbocharger oil drain hose through or around the tubular exhaust header.
I ask because I ran into a similar issue as a few other members and used some heat resistant materials that ended up wearing through due to vibrations, so I am just curious to how others with a top mount header are doing it. Yours looks like it would not be as angled, but still might bump into one of the runners.

That does answer some questions regarding the crankcase ventilation drain & hose routing though, so that info is still very much appreciated.
I believe there are a few vendors (I.E Yoshifab) that sell modified oil caps with AN fittings on them that seal properly, but for anyone that can TIG weld or get it done reasonably cheaply, it's down to your install preference.

I did have to make a few compromises for my catch can positioning since I was concerned about a proper drain route and a few other things, but I see no issue with what you plan to do. If you do end up collecting a good bit of oil in a short time period, adding a drain wouldn't be a large ordeal.

About that 265, i haven't forgotten about it. It's just really far down the "To do list".
Haha, I have my own backlog of "To do's" so I know what you mean. Glad to know you still have plans for it, I was asking in genuine interest and some jest, I meant no harm. :)
Hoping the M90 and M46 installs go as planned.

Best Regards!

I am wondering why you are going the stony m90 way instead of using an omsvetsad BMX Gearbox or so..

But I'm glad to see there are some maniacs left going M90.. i have a TTV flywheel with a reinforced t5r clutch and a manthey racing clutchfacing..

/edit

whoa.. that MKM shifter is the ****.. do want ! :)

Last edited:
Oh, mein fehler! :oops:
Apologies as I should have further specified, the routing of the turbocharger oil drain hose through or around the tubular exhaust header.
I ask because I ran into a similar issue as a few other members and used some heat resistant materials that ended up wearing through due to vibrations, so I am just curious to how others with a top mount header are doing it. Yours looks like it would not be as angled, but still might bump into one of the runners.

That does answer some questions regarding the crankcase ventilation drain & hose routing though, so that info is still very much appreciated.
I believe there are a few vendors (I.E Yoshifab) that sell modified oil caps with AN fittings on them that seal properly, but for anyone that can TIG weld or get it done reasonably cheaply, it's down to your install preference.

I did have to make a few compromises for my catch can positioning since I was concerned about a proper drain route and a few other things, but I see no issue with what you plan to do. If you do end up collecting a good bit of oil in a short time period, adding a drain wouldn't be a large ordeal.

Haha, I have my own backlog of "To do's" so I know what you mean. Glad to know you still have plans for it, I was asking in genuine interest and some jest, I meant no harm. :)
Hoping the M90 and M46 installs go as planned.

Best Regards!

haha, i see what you mean about the Oil-return. These are old pictures of how i made it (don't mind the black plate on top of the engine mount)

a18bc37cbb.png

713a58e4ed.png

2319f33609.png

It a -AN10 returnline that feeds into a Yoshifab AN10 fitting in my engine with a 90 degree turn.

I am wondering why you are going the stony m90 way instead of using an omsvetsad BMX Gearbox or so..

But I'm glad to see there are some maniacs left going M90.. i have a TTV flywheel with a reinforced t5r clutch and a manthey racing clutchfacing..

/edit

whoa.. that MKM shifter is the ****.. do want ! :)

The M90 is for the 245 Turbo, which only has a few upgrades like a 15g turbo, Ipd cam and fuel chips. So 250bhp at max. And i've picked this m90 up for ?300 including another complete B230FK engine. So a steal!

I dont see the need for a more expensive gearbox swap in the 245. Thats why, and i liked the M90 in de 242. Hopefully the lightend flywheel and M90 will give the 245 a much better response and agility when it comes down to cornering etc. It steers like a nimble car, but the throttle response isn't on-point.

For the 242, i see a upgrade from M90 to a BMW gearbox in the future. But first the M90 has to break and spill its gutts on the highway like my 245 did 3 years ago when i ****ed the first M46 transmission. (now on my 3rd which is also ****ed)

This was 3 years ago :p
b89b451b18.png

Back