• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Today's Progress....

BB-Q

(. )( .)
Got a chance to do a bit today. Got the turbo off, the manifold off and the downpipe off.

My SSAC header hasn't come back from the machine shop so, with Griz's permission I used his (which was at my house) so I could mock up stuff.

First, I put the T04B cold side on my Cossie T3. I took a couple of snaps to show the difference.

20070225headertime0008rp3.jpg

20070225headertime0010yx4.jpg

In that 2nd image you can see that the compressor wheel has much thicker blades. I'm guessing the coldside came from a diesel, which would account for the difference.

so I trial fitted the header and a couple of problems come to light immediately. The #1 primary hits the PAS pipe but, much worse, is the fact that it also touches the hose off the water pump:

20070225headertime0012pw9.jpg

The only way I can see round it is to have an elbow welded to the water pump, but if anyone can think of another way of doing it I'd be very interested to hear about it.

That aside, I got the turbo reclocked and started to make the V Band adaptor for the downpipe.

The compressor housing sits very close to the bonnet, so i need to get some heat reflective material to prevent the paint getting too hot and discolouring. For now I've just removed the sound deadening.

End of play today sees me stuck until I can get a couple more silicone elbow reducers, but some progress made at least...........

20070225headertime0013nl3.jpg

20070225headertime0014hh6.jpg

...but, much worse, is the fact that it also touches the hose off the water pump:
This has been documented already by Kenny. Weld on an elbow.

Looks like you could use an elbow welded onto the compressor outlet as well to aim it at the IC.

This has been documented already by Kenny. Weld on an elbow.

Looks like you could use an elbow welded onto the compressor outlet as well to aim it at the IC.

Kenny's documenting of it must have been before my time. I've got some 32mm aluminium tube which I could prep for an elbow and get welded to a water pump.
Good idea on the compressor outlet- I hadn't thought of that. I'll have a hunt around for some 65mm aluminium tube. That could well work out cheaper than a silicone elbow reducer.

Good thinking that man- did you get my stickers?

so I trial fitted the header and a couple of problems come to light immediately. The #1 primary hits the PAS pipe but, much worse, is the fact that it also touches the hose off the water pump

As you're having the flange rewelded anyway, would chopping a bit off the runners before having the flange put on, and tilting the whole assembly up a bit and towards the engine a bit, work?

Or will that make things worse :-D

Looking good regardless, love the black compressor housing.

The header had already been rewelded when I got it- it's at the machine shop having the flange milled flat as it was banana-like in it's flatness.

Hi Mark,

Looking good!

Don't suppose you managed to weight the compressor wheel did you, curious to know how much heavier it is compared with your old T3 wheel. you probably right regarding the thickness of the compressor vanes, it was probably designed to sit pushing 2 bar into a gigantic diesel 10hrs a day.

Will that oil feed be ok running through the primaries or will it eventually be routed up the strut side? The only reason I ask is that it's only rubber or teflon inside that stainless sheeth don't want to see a repeat of what happened to Mike's wagon in the summer after you've put in all this work.

Anyway looks great hope you'll have it up and running soon.
Laters
Nick

Bertie, check out Kenny's pbase site... I think he used a clever combination of copper pipe elbows to alleviate the problem of the water pump hose.

But... www.mcmaster.com sells a very nice sch 40 6061 aluminum pipe elbow that could easily be welded on to the end of the water pump. I'm sure a tig welder could do it for a minimum fee..... the part number is 43485K124 (1 1/2) or 43485K123 (1 1/4).... $18 US. (the sch40 is cheaper than the sch10).

Looking great!

Mike

I've got an aluminium elbow on the way for the water pump, so I'll get that and the elbow on the compressor outlet done at the same time.

I need to replace the oil feed as it's too short now. I'll make a descision on its routing before I get e new one made. Thankfully, a lot of stuff like the oil feed etc. will also fit when the 16v goes in next winter (or maybe earlier).

fleabay, of course.

I've already got some pipe for the water pump that just needs cutting and bending ready for the welder- the link above is for the one to weld to the turbo.

If you need a bit of pipe to make into the elbow for the water pump I'll gladly send you a bit for the cost of the postage.

ahh ok then , erm, yeah .

i thought youd bought a bend for the water pump that could theoretically be quik steeled on .

but yeah , ill take you up on that offer of the tube .

taken to PMs.

bugger bugger bugger bugger bugger................

So I've got the day to myself and a load of jobs to do- port my oid drain hole and thread it, fit my header, make the oil drain hose, make the V band adapter for the turbo, make the downpipe,etc..........

But it's p*ssing down outside and freezing cold :grrr:

So I guess I could do a couple of wiring jobs in side the car and put the interior back together, maybe tidy the garage a bit............... :grrr:

Back