• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Chuck's '77 242 - "The Yellow One"

Slightly more recent pic.
242_3_19_12.jpg

Now I'm aggravated about the tail lights.

Thanks. Either, or. Guess it depends on which ones I find first, lenses or housings.
(P.S. - the IC showed up today :nod:)

I'll ask around, and keep a watch for some hella housings.
Lenses that aren't sun crazed are getting rare indeed for the early cars.
Sweet.
The IC made it in good shape I take it?

Did you get this in PA? Looks familiar, but hey - there was only 1 yellow 242 made in 77, right? :-P

Very nice.

I picked this one up in C-bus, OH.

I did find that I had a FP tester last night. (Is is bad that you forget what tools you have? :-P) Now to find the bits to plumb it into the fuel system to test my pumps.

I'm still leaning towards whatever is causing the car to idle at ~2K rpm is the real issue. I can't seem to find any more disconnected or loose hoses. I've clamped any that I could find that were questionable, and even with the bypass air valve turned in all the way, it still idles high.

I just now had a possible epiphany. Can the aux air valve stick open? Then again, if I adjust the bypass closed, it shouldn't matter, correct?

OK, I finally have time for a bit of an update.

First I was chasing around an supposed fuel pump issue. 2-3 weeks ago it became apparent that the new intank pump I had just installed had died after about a week. It was a temporary measure until I could get the stuff from the wrecked 244 off the old car.

This was the old main pump. Looks to be TB approved with all the zip-ties.
Old%20FP.jpg

I wound up pulling the entire fuel system, from the tank to the filter, from the 244 turbo car and put it in the 242. It has a couple-year-old 740T intank pump, and handled the turbo car just fine. The tank from the '85 bolted in place just fine, but the filler was different, and not swappable between the two tanks, so I went ahead and used the later filler, but that doesn't jive with the opening in the side of the car. I have a temporary fix at the moment for that, but I'll either need to mod the filler inlet, or cut the hole in the car bigger to accommodate the seal from the '85.

Anyway, I mounted up the main pump/accumulator assembly.

New%20FP.jpg
and ran the fuel line to the filter up front. Had to do a little clearancing of the hood to clear the larger filter. I still might go back to the smaller one, to avoid having to do too much"massaging" of the hood. I swapped it when I was chasing around another perceived issue with the new fuel system.

Next I got to taking care of the rattling catalytic converter. Or at least what I thought was a rattling converter. I pulled the cat out and wound up finding the source of my rattle was the muffler..
Busted%20muffler.jpg

So I threw a weld on that and took the cat out anyway.
Uncat.jpg

This should hold me over until I get the MS and the turbo on the car and do the 3" system.

After that, the rattle was gone but the car still idled high. After more searching, I discovered that the injector seals were leaking badly. So I ordered parts and today got around to installing them.

All the holder seals looked like this.
Inj%20holder.jpg

and all the injector orings were hard and split when I removed them.
Inj%20oring.jpg

I got them all swapped, and things are good to go so I can worry about getting the 244 stripped and out of my way now. I do need to hunt down an o-ring for the idle speed adjuster, but I should be able to locate that.

One of the more irritating things the past couple weeks was when I went to replace the tail lights.
Bad%20tail.jpg

I picked up a set of decent Hella lenses from a member here and set about installing them, only to find that Hella lenses won't fit on my Cibie housings. So now I have to find something to make one or the other work.

I've been lining up parts for things like the power window retrofit, and the MS swap. I'm going to go with the DSM CAS set-up for the ignition, and I have an EFI intake and the old brown-tops from my 2.3T TBird. Working through what I need to mod in the MS1 box I have to accommodate the DSM CAS.

Once I get the rear suspension out of the 244, it's going to wind up under this car, and I'm going to probably get my 25/22 IPD sways powdercoated before I install them.

OK, enough of an update for now.

Well, the car is running really well after fixing the injector orings.
Didn't do too much to it this weekend, but I did get some goodness from Dave Barton applied yesterday.

grille.jpg

Old badge
badge_old.jpg

New badge
badge_new.jpg

I did some messing around with the interior (swapped seats from the 244), but no pics of that yet.

EDIT- I guess I *did* do something on the car this weekend. I rolled the front fenders to give the little bit of clearance I needed for the wheels/tires. Was getting a rub on the driver front.

Last edited:
Well, the weather didn't cooperate today for me to mess with swapping out the carpets, so I messed with this instead...

MS%20unit.jpg

Yes, I know it's no fancy MS3 or whatever, but if it'll do what I want it to do, then that's all I need.

Been busy sorting out what's what on the current set-up, and what I need to remove/add to work with my plans.

I'm planning on:
- DSM CAS
- Single Coil Pack
- e-fan control
- boost control
- maybe Knocksense and table switching in the future. It's already wired for it. Since I'm keeping the higher compression set-up, I probably should get the Knocksense added.

I need to figure out what injectors I'm going to use, to determine if I need to mess with any of the Flyback circuitry or not. I have some stock Volvo green-top injectors, and I have a set of Ford brown-tops I pulled off my 2.3T TBird a while back. I know the Ford ones are low-res, but I'm not sure about the Volvo ones.

My 530 head showed up today, so after I give it a once-over, and sort out the details with the MS, I can get it converted from K-Jet.

Well, I *think* I have the MS unit set up how I want it.

I got it hooked up to the stim and the laptop this evening.

MS_Stim_1.jpg

I'm not getting any RPM reading on TS. I'm not sure if it's my stim or something in the settings. The other pots appear to work, but the engine speed ones don't.

Doing some digging, I don't think my old Stim works with the ignition set-up I want to do. Looks like a JimStim is in my future.

Well, I had a couple hours this weekend to try and find some shine in the paint.

5_21_12_2.jpg

5_21_12_1.jpg

Found some. :) Didn't get a chance to to everything that I wanted to, but at least got a pass at it with rubbing it out and getting a coat of wax on it.

OK, well update time.

Just been driving it and getting parts together.

Yesterday when I stopped for gas, I went I came back out (locked the door and went inside), I pulled up on the handle...and nothing.

Took things apart today and found this.
bad%20pin.jpg
The staking on the pin had worn out, and the pin came loose. Fixed it and put things back together. No drama, really.

However, seeing as I needed to pull the door panel, I figured I'd finally get rid of the last of the brown.

I had just gotten these
GTfront.jpg

GTrear.jpg

Got them pretty cheaply (driver door panel is kind of marginal), but I didn't want the GT orange stripe. So...I dyed them grey.

GTfrontdyed.jpg

GTreardyed.jpg

Then I set to installing them.
Newdoorpanel.jpg

You can see the grey floor mats, and thus my decision of the grey stripe.

Couple more interior shots
Newinterior.jpg

New%20front.jpg

interior%20after.jpg

The next thing I'd like to do is pop out the rear window to be able to remove the headliner and dye it black. I have black grab handles and visors, etc from the old car.

Power windows are coming in the future, but I need to get a couple other things sorted before I wire those up.

Now to place a Yoshifab order and get some susp parts off to be stripped.

Well, I've been prepping a lot of parts to swap out, mainly suspension stuff, but I've been taking the time to strip/prep/paint or powdercoat as much as possible.

One of the "flashy" bits I just finished yesterday was the new valve cover.

VC_1.jpg

VC_2.jpg

I wound up with a couple blems in the grey from me trying to clean the powder off the lettering that I had previously done in yellow. Turned out well enough I think.

More pics of more stuff as I get it ready and on the car.

Back