• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Custom 940 Grille - Home Depot Mesh w/ Chrome trim

Devolv

Here's what I did yesterday, was bored so I decided to work on the extra grille I had.

Wasn't ready to fork out $100+ on a 940/960 Turbo Grille and they aren't readily available on local yards. So decided to construct my own with a silver grille from a 940/960 which looked really lame and grampa-ish. I wanted sporty black mesh look, but somewhat stock feel to it. So I went to home depot and bought the $21.99 metal diamond pattern mesh, which is quite heavy duty.

Then I knocked out the cheezy plastic chrome grille and kept the frame and the emblem.
Painted the Home Depot mesh and cutted it to fit the frame. Painted the mesh with flat black Rustoleum rattle paint. Drilled a few holes at the bottom and top of the grille frame for Zip tieing LOL Then used a few zipties to secure into place. Then I masked off the frame as I thought the original trim was way too thick, and painted the outside black.

Then used double sided 3M tape with added some soft plastic pieces to secure the emblem onto the mesh.

I think it turned out pretty good considering the materials and time. Took about 2 hours to do, wasn't too bad.

dsc00038ad6.jpg

dsc00039ld6.jpg

Let me know what you guys think! Will take pictures of the grille on a non-rainy day. If you see green twist ties ignore them! Ran out of black zip ties yesterday..
I also need to work on the fitting, it's not as close as I want the grille (you can see a gap to the light on one of the pictures), so I 'll need to fix that..

Last edited:
Before:
Had a old 740 Turbo grille that didn't really fit. Notice the large gap from Lights and bumper.
img6019fm5.jpg

After:
dsc00037bf1.jpg

Last edited:
Finally a home depot grill that looks amazing! I love how you kept the slash and chrome ring. Looks REALLY good!

To be honest, the thin chrome trim to me is still a question mark. I was so used to the black 740 Turbo grille(that didn't really fit LOL) that I had from before..

looks prety good man, i was thinking of doing something similar, i just want a much smaller mesh

There was a smaller diamond patten mesh which I should have bought! infact I think it would look a bit better, too much fan/condensor at the back. hmm...
gonna also try to clean up the 2 zip ties at the bottom for a not so DIY look.

Last edited:
I did the same thing but used the smaller mesh from Home Depot, what you can do to hide the zip ties like I did was use the existing holes that the push tabs were in to tie the mesh to the grill, then use some zip ties and connect them to the original mounting points, it let me put the grill in the same position as if it was in there with clips.

I love it! Eggcrate grills over in Aus aren't very common so I think I might do that for my 760, but the car still has all it's chrome...

I have a ****ty HomeCheapo mesh grille, that should be getting the heave shortly, lol. It came on the car when I bought it.
picture009mm8.jpg

meh

nice work all the same but not to my taste

Like to hear your tastes. Personally the chrome trim around I'm still struggling to accept, there's a little hesitation there when I look at the pictures, it looks a little too elegant to my liking and other than the emblem there is not one piece of chrome elsewhere.

I wanted to at least try the idea of the chrome, there's no going back if I paint the whole thing black.

Eggcrate FTMWF

this was my old "custom" mesh grille (basically stock grill wiht intercooler badge and mesh behind it..)
DSC06655.jpg

DSC06086.jpg

Oh and of course..Terminator eye ram air..
DSC06757.jpg

THEN i picked up an eggcrate for like 10 bucks at the pick n pull
awesome5.jpg

DSC_0036.jpg

Back