• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Kyle242GT's 1959 5.044

Tempted to do radical weight reduction for the lulz, then cut up and sell for scrap... but wife mentioned keeping it as yard art (she's a funny one, my lady she is) and my seven year old is chomping at the bit to use it as a playhouse. FINALLY someone's interested in my project, haha.

When test driving this thing yesterday, got on it in first gear halfway through a turn, stepped out nicely, steered back in line while reaching for second, a few ticks go by and the seller says, "Guess you've had a car with posi before, huh?"

I see how these cars were so successful, decent driving dynamics, loads of power, very controllable.

:e-shrug: I was stoked on the headers too, until I found out they're $200 on summit. :-P 3" exhaust with flowmasters, MSD distributor cap (dist body says motorcraft, so that's that), heavy clutch, killer shifter of some sort. Throttle response is excellent, halfway wonder if it's got a lightweight flywheel.

Dunno, sucker goes pretty good.

I'd chop the whole tunnel out of the 'Stang and graft that into the PV. Although the drivetrain sits a little high in a PV - at least compared to a 122.

And PS - the rear end is pretty light and lively in my PV, with just a peppy B20 and an open diff in it (I have a Dana 27 LSD but I've never gotten around to putting it in) - I can only imagine how fun a 5.0/posi PV is going to be!

Thanks John, appreciate the input on the tunnel, that's a great idea. Going to be fun trying to make all this stuff fit in there; plan is to remove the front sheetmetal, remove the battery tray area and PV tunnel, and see how low and far back I can make it fit. Would really like to put the rack and pinion in too, use the Ford column, etc.

And the crustang lights up the 245's (?) frighteningly easily. Can only imagine how the 205's are going to fare. Thinking of tubbing it a smoodge to get more tire under the rear fenders, but that's down the road apace. I can run the stock width rear axle with the four lugs and no fenders while I shake it down.

I've seen widened fenders as well. One trick is to just mash the wheel opening outward, which can look good if done smoothly. More bulge, less vertical. Another technique is to widen them along the top horizontal edge by slicing and adding in a strip of metal. this can also look pretty good if done in moderation, too much and you have an ugly big flat section in the rounded fender shape, even if it is all smooth.

Yeah, the oil drum widening of the fenders pisses me off to no end.

Before I lost my mind with the swap idea, I was planning to lower it as far as it could reasonably sit, then slicing the fenders perpendicular to the wheel opening, and bending the outer face out, filling the wedges with scrap metal. Similar to "mashing" as you suggest above.

Dunno. Fenders can wait a while. Maybe some bushwhacker bolt-ons! :rofl:

http://mustang.zeroentity.com/howto_artcls/howto_glean.html

Might help with the seats. I remember the GT seats to be reasonably comfortable. Replace or repair that bottom cover, shoot them with some black dye, done. I'd rock them. The weave of the fabric doesn't look entirely out of place in an older car.

I don't know if that rear end is worth swapping just because there are so many others available. Might as well find a 5 lug for cheap with disc brakes and run that if you can. Or see how cheap the parts can be sourced and make your decision from that. Its your money, easy for us to spend it huh?

Awesome link on the seats, thanks!

Appreciate the thoughts on the axle. Big plus for this one is the posi, assuming it truly is and I didn't just get the lucky double-spin the few times I romped on it. No matter what I get, it'll have to be narrowed considerably... there's a good rear end shop local, quoted $400 to narrow the PV's axle previously. Hopeful that they can supply or redrill the axles when narrowing. New drums, and ready to rock.

Thought about rear disks, but I think the drums will be okay; not like I have monster front brakes anyway. Might see about using the Mustang master to get dual circuit... but again, down the road.

Nice car! Definitely got me antsy to take my 210 off the road and get some real work done. Especially while one of my younger brothers will be staying with us.

Just had the first of two prospects for the engine/trans come by. Wanted to buy the whole car. Tossed out $4K, he said, yeah, sounds about right. I freaked out and backtracked, "can't really sell it, then I'd have the POS Mustang to get rid of."

:x: $500 for the engine/trans would lessen the swap price considerably.

Thanks Mav. Driver's seat is broken on the inboard side, guess that's common? Upholstery is pretty good, just filthy. Was halfway thinking of recycling them into the 544, stock chairs have no support or headrests; these at least have a lowback "look".

My mother in law is a neatfreak, so yeah, we can get a carpet cleaner.

re: the gauges, was thinking I could make new faces and fabricate a bezel to make them individual gauges. Hell, might be able to cut and paste the movements into separate gauges. Probably not worth the hassle.

I do have one of these as wall art, was thinking of using it.
tbird_dash.jpg

Still not 100% sure how to begin. Guess the first step is to get the engine/trans out of the mustang, then roll it out back to gank parts off? Gotta find a deserted parking lot for teh donutz first... :-P

that emblem in the steering wheel almost looks like a clock! Would be a cool idea to put a clock in the center of a steering wheel.

Killer car btw ! :)

Back