• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Brighter lights

A good quality led is probably the way to go if you want brighter without melting the light housing. 1157 already melt most of them. It's actually a 1034 bulb at least on 240 series and six panel 7 series.

A good quality led is probably the way to go if you want brighter without melting the light housing. 1157 already melt most of them. It's actually a 1034 bulb at least on 240 series and six panel 7 series.

Would 4 red 1157 leds work? The 240 6 panels only shine 2 on each side when I have my headlights on, and I'm most likely never going to use my rear fogs.

Before the fog lights were used that was the brake light on the six panel lights. IPD used to sell the newer three contact socket so you could have four brake lights. I have this on my 82 turbo. So yes you could use the fog lights for brake lights on the newer six panel lights. You would either want to disconnect the fog lights or add a couple diodes so each circuit works independent of the other. Early six panel lights on 240 are 1979-1984. 1985-1993 use the three contact lower outer light for brake and running and you got the got light in the old brake light spot.

Mine's an 87 and it has the top fog lights and the bottom middle reflectors, so I only need 4 bulbs in total for brake/running lights.

LEDs are the way to go in terms of making the lights more bright. Unless the panels are hazed/sun baked, then nothing will help that but replacement of the tail light.

Go to SuperbrightLed's web site and plug in your model. It will show you a few alternative led modules that fit your car's socket. Then you have to decide what to do with the bulb out sensor and turn signal flasher. I would never put in higher watt filament bulbs as it is asking for melted lenses and an electrical fire.

-L

Look up the spec's of incandescent or led. Compare the brightness given as lumens (abbreviated lm). For tail lights, value will be something like 500 lm.

Have good luck with bay15d leds for rear lights, bright, reliable, low heat.
I don't like the white leds since they are way to white for these older cars but damn they are nice and bright. Have a cheap H4 set in use and it has been excellent

I forget that I had 2 led Amber led bulbs for another project. Hard wired the terminal contacts ,no sockets. Drilled out the existing bulb socket. Repainted the reflectors. Stacked it all back together and now it has great park and turn lights.

Back