• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Weber 38 DGAS

jfry

An ol timey Volvo mechanic is trying to convince me that my SU's are going to give me problems eventually due to today's modern gas. He recommends I use a Weber 38. Anyone familiar with this carburetor? I've used the progressive Weber that everyone hates but never the 38. Going on the Volvo Jeep so I can't afford any trouble out in the wilderness. Thanks

The 38 DGAS is the synchonus 2 barrel that John V recommends.

You aren't going to have problems with your SU carbs from the modern gas if you set the float bowls, set the balance and mixture. What wears fast on SU carbs are the throttle shafts. If yours are good then you are ok with properly tuned carbs. If not then it's a question of which path to take. A replacement carb and manifold which may require some fabrication or rebuild/replace your SU carbs.

Another carb option to replace the SU is a Mikuni carb. I don't know much about them. But two of those woud probably give you the period look with a well made carb. Mikuni carbs are known to be high quality.

My SU Hif 6 carbs are rebuilt but require fabrication for a throttle cable bracket. I'll have to run a bracket off the firewall which I'd like to avoid because all of my wiring is on the firewall. I have a Weber manifold already and I know the throttle cable bracket on the Weber comes off the carb itself or the manifold making things easier. Elevation change is also an issue which my old progressive Weber never reacted too but I'm concerned the SU's might.

HIF's are the second most reliable carb IMO, the first being the HS's only because of the nature of the float bowl sealing method.
The square profile o ring is a little more susceptible to drying out/rotting than a paper gasket.

It's not about wanting more power. It's about the fact that when the fire burned down Paradise six months ago our local SU master lost his house and shop. Not a lot of old timers, like you, who know how to work on SUs anymore.

It's not about wanting more power. It's about the fact that when the fire burned down Paradise six months ago our local SU master lost his house and shop. Not a lot of old timers, like you, who know how to work on SUs anymore.

It?s like you never heard of Hiperformance

5k miles later my su give me no issues. Only you have to actually adjust them after the rebuild but that?s it compared to the Weber

I doubt you?ll put 5k miles on your Vlap in the next 10 years

Don?t waste your $$

Hiperformance rebuilt my hif6's. Local SU master is gone. Your guy Steve said he's not very good with them. Only thing that's going to cost is having custom brackets built for the SU linkage. I had a bracket built last year but it was attached to the rear head bolt and I don't want to do that again. Weber offers a lot more options when it comes to linkage.

I hated my 38 when I had it on my first Amazon. Robs you of power, there's no reliability gain and it looks like a turd sitting in your engine bay. As Jack said: send your SU's to Ian and Eric and call it done.

Sidedraft Webers are amazing. Downdraft Webers are dreadful.

It?s like you never heard of Hiperformance

5k miles later my su give me no issues. Only you have to actually adjust them after the rebuild but that?s it compared to the Weber

I doubt you?ll put 5k miles on your Vlap in the next 10 years

Don?t waste your $$

Wish you guys would read. Its not about miles. Its about the vehicle sitting and today's gas effecting the SU's. Steve says your good at them!

I hated my 38 when I had it on my first Amazon. Robs you of power, there's no reliability gain and it looks like a turd sitting in your engine bay. As Jack said: send your SU's to Ian and Eric and call it done.

Sidedraft Webers are amazing. Downdraft Webers are dreadful.

Or send the HIF's to Tom Bryant and call it done.

Back