• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

B21 Head on B230(?) engine?

pnw_245

Hi guys,

I'm very much a Volvo novice but I'm in a bit of a predicament getting my 1978 245 back up and running. The problem is that the B21 Kjet engine has developed some rod knock. However, a friend of a friend has set me up with a new engine, however it's a later engine out of an 84 car (which makes it a B230 I think?).

The real issue is that I need to get the car running in 2 days, and the fuel rail on the "new" motor has been damaged along with some of the wiring harness deteriorating. What I was wondering if it would be possible to put the old B21 Kjet head onto the new block to make a Frankenstein of sorts. I know the Kjet worked but I don't know enough to be sure that the two will work together. I don't need the engine to be perfect I just need to get it running again.

Thoughts? Criticisms?

See this post for nice measurements and pictures of head gaskets and head combustion chamber sizes:
http://forums.turbobricks.com/showpost.php?p=5363245&postcount=18

You should be fine with a KJet head on a B21/B23/B230 block, just be very careful not to damage any of the aging KJet pieces when you swap them over. You want the head gasket to match the cylinder size -- the head combustion chambers are all smaller and will work with with either smaller or large cylinders.

How bad is the rod knock? Maybe leave it as-is until you have a bit more time for it to be down.

The rod knock is pretty bad, the car fortunately still runs but I don't want to tempt fate and drive it around. The car is parked at a friend's house so I'll see if he is okay with it being parked there for a bit longer

You will be fine running the b21 k-jet head on b23 or b230 block, just use a b23/b230 head gasket.

A B23 which your 84 engine should be will directly swap in. A B230 needs to have some type of adjustment for the a/c belt setup or use the newer accessory setup.

Back