• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Best oil (non synthetic) for my 83 turbo b21ft?

RedFridge

Ok, would love some advice.

I have an 83 240 glt turbo coupe, b21ft 280+miles on it.
I have been using Kendall 10-30.

What is the best oil on you're opinion for my application.
I do not want to go synthetic, will start that when I rebuild.

Would love to change it today....Winter is coming (oregon)

What is you're favoriate oil? Why?
Being a turbo, what should I look for?

Please, Would love a nice long thread explaining oil to those of
us who want to learn.

Keep a smile on....appreciate the help my friends.
:wave:
Drew

RedFridge said:
Ok, would love some advice.

I have an 83 240 glt turbo coupe, b21ft 280+miles on it.
I have been using Kendall 10-30.

What is the best oil on you're opinion for my application.
I do not want to go synthetic, will start that when I rebuild.

Would love to change it today....Winter is coming (oregon)

What is you're favoriate oil? Why?
Being a turbo, what should I look for?

Please, Would love a nice long thread explaining oil to those of
us who want to learn.

Keep a smile on....appreciate the help my friends.
:wave:
Drew

castrol Syntec (synthetic blend) its been good to me. If you dont even wanna go blend, try some Rotella T

What about 10/30 or 10/40 for turbo applications and winter viscosity?

Is there an oil thread on here....I cannot find it.

Would love to know all there is about our oils.

oh yeah

Have a great day and thanks for the reply's

Drew

In severe conditions, 10-30 will resist breakdown over time better than 10-40.
I would strongly recommend synthetic for a turbo anyway.
I use Valvoline petroleum in 2 cars, Mobil 1 in 2 cars. I use NAPA brand at school, and most of the family fleet I maintain uses Valvoline or Mobil petroleum. I use Mobil petroleum for break-in oil when I build an engine, too. High detergent.
There aren't many bad oils. Pick a well-known brand name and use it.

mikep said:
In severe conditions, 10-30 will resist breakdown over time better than 10-40.
I would strongly recommend synthetic for a turbo anyway.
I use Valvoline petroleum in 2 cars, Mobil 1 in 2 cars. I use NAPA brand at school, and most of the family fleet I maintain uses Valvoline or Mobil petroleum. I use Mobil petroleum for break-in oil when I build an engine, too. High detergent.
There aren't many bad oils. Pick a well-known brand name and use it.

Also, I heard switching brands all the time isnt a good idea either. Correct?

Guess why I am curious about a synthetic switch in such a high mile car suddenly...I have heard horror stories from some that have switched to synthetic and having major engine problems, as in piston damages and "gunking" ports and other vital parts.

Could they be wrong? Blaming their problems on oils?

Then again...what the hell do I know....Just want to start an interesting thread.

Thanks for imputting people...

Hey every watch horsepower tv on Spike tv saturday mornings?
Fun stuff.
If you are one of those ford guys. Although good information on lots of stuff applicable to our volvos.

RedFridge said:
Guess why I am curious about a synthetic switch in such a high mile car suddenly...I have heard horror stories from some that have switched to synthetic and having major engine problems, as in piston damages and "gunking" ports and other vital parts.

Could they be wrong? Blaming their problems on oils?

Then again...what the hell do I know....Just want to start an interesting thread.

Thanks for imputting people...

Hey every watch horsepower tv on Spike tv saturday mornings?
Fun stuff.
If you are one of those ford guys. Although good information on lots of stuff applicable to our volvos.

I switched to semi synthetic becuase my car is an 82, and thats the year they started using synthetic compatible gaskets and such. Even tho the book says synthetic is OK, im going to go semi before I go full.

240Psycho said:
quaker state is the worst oil you can put in a motor in my opinion.
I like castrol oils better, thinking about putting synthetic in my car

yeh, my moms running quaker state in her Volvo, came from Wal Mart, smells like ass, but it seems to be lubricating. Im gonna put some rotella in hers next time.

KLowD9x said:
[quote:6321b27942="240Psycho"]quaker state is the worst oil you can put in a motor in my opinion.

yeh, my moms running quaker state in her Volvo, came from Wal Mart, smells like ass, but it seems to be lubricating. Im gonna put some rotella in hers next time.[/quote:6321b27942]
no i would take it out now, I have seen what happens to engines that run on quaker state. My brother opened up a ford v8 with less then 100 thousand miles and there was just this horrible layer of crappy oil over every thing. It was stringy and some of it looked like it was hard. Even the cam shaft was dull from the oil.

240Psycho said:
[quote:3fd3cc4c1b="KLowD9x"][quote:3fd3cc4c1b="240Psycho"]quaker state is the worst oil you can put in a motor in my opinion.

yeh, my moms running quaker state in her Volvo, came from Wal Mart, smells like ass, but it seems to be lubricating. Im gonna put some rotella in hers next time.[/quote:3fd3cc4c1b]
no i would take it out now, I have seen what happens to engines that run on quaker state. My brother opened up a ford v8 with less then 100 thousand miles and there was just this horrible layer of crappy oil over every thing. It was stringy and some of it looked like it was hard. Even the cam shaft was dull from the oil.[/quote:3fd3cc4c1b]

I cant...

I use Castrol and Mobil 1 synthetic blends. Never had any bad experiences with either. Never tried quaker state or rotella. Mobil 1 synthetic blend claims to have stuff in it to help condition the engine seals. Are there any full synthetic oils that can condition your old engine seals enough so that you can use the oil without worrying about old seals leaking?

I never liked quaker state but now they are owned by pennzoil and it seems to be the exact same thing in only in a green bottle as pennzoil so It seems to be what I'm using latley. I'd rather use full synthetic but I change my oil at highly regular intervals so It would get far too expensive to use synthetic and since I change it so much I don't really consider it nessascary.

I always praise shell rotella but discout auto had none last time and I bought castrol and the castrol seem to not get dark as fast as the shell rotella. same grade. I use a fram or puralator filter and every oil change a STP oil treatment. I clean the TB and flame trap just before changing the oil
good luck
I used vavoline synthetic in my dads van and that good oil but would be a waste to use in my volvo as the engine has too much wear. 200k+ and from new oil change every four months and engine is in top shape

I use Mobil1 10w30 on my turbo car. The volvo will most likely have it too. I love the oil. :) :e-shrug:

I always use synthetic, especially in a turbo..Think of how it sits in a scortching hot turbo after you turn off the engine even after letting it sit to cool off awhile...Just found Mobil 1 made for European cars that is like 0-40 wt.recommended for Porsches, BMW, and all turbo applications, at Schucks/Checker/Kragen. Good stuff Maynard!
Ron

Back