• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

240 rear suspension

Giving the rear a little bit of float gives it more grip from what I experienced.

I think the 240 is pretty sensitive to over stiffness in the rear (most of us are I suppose :lol:). I've noticed that the lack of compliance and articulation creates a very thin line between grip and power oversteer.

I think the 240 is pretty sensitive to over stiffness in the rear (most of us are I suppose :lol:). I've noticed that the lack of compliance and articulation creates a very thin line between grip and power oversteer.

I agree.

Yeah. Agreed.

My setup; poly/heim 'hybrid' Tq rods, spherical trailing arm bushings, rubber on the front of the trailing arms.
Just so much better than the old worn rubber tab bushings and non adjustable full poly torque rods. Axle follows the road better, nvh not really any worse than it was, more comfortable on speed bumps, much more grip. Less twitchy. More consistent. Before it would wander a lot going in a straight line.
So all in all, less compliance and more articulation. Seems to work!

When I was doing my rear suspension I was going for spherical joints on the axle & poly for the chassis connections. Made my own adjustable panhard bar & torque arms & used Ben's spherical tab. Unfortunately, I swapped in a G80 at the same time I put in the torque arms. I put the old torque arms back in trying to sort out the resulting NVH & haven't got around to putting them back.
Something that occurred to me though was would the new (tighter) bushes transmit more NVH from a different source (prop shaft etc) than the old sloppy ones just to confuse the issue?

When I was doing my rear suspension I was going for spherical joints on the axle & poly for the chassis connections. Made my own adjustable panhard bar & torque arms & used Ben's spherical tab. Unfortunately, I swapped in a G80 at the same time I put in the torque arms. I put the old torque arms back in trying to sort out the resulting NVH & haven't got around to putting them back.
Something that occurred to me though was would the new (tighter) bushes transmit more NVH from a different source (prop shaft etc) than the old sloppy ones just to confuse the issue?

Anything that isn't the stock rubber will increase NVH. The poly has a higher durometer and the bushings design isn't designed to flex, hence transmits more. The stock Volvo bushings were designed (both in material and bushing design) for comfort and to transmit as little NVH as possible to the chassis.

Anything that isn't the stock rubber will increase NVH. The poly has a higher durometer and the bushings design isn't designed to flex, hence transmits more. The stock Volvo bushings were designed (both in material and bushing design) for comfort and to transmit as little NVH as possible to the chassis.

This

Its more of a geometry issue of the bushing than the durometer, imo.

Giving the rear a little bit of float gives it more grip from what I experienced.

No matter what you use (poly, rubber, or sphericals) It will need to be changed eventually.

If you are putting a lot of load through the rear, the sphericals will be the strongest option.

I think I'm going to purchase the sphericals from you in a little bit. I don't really mind the road buzz or at least I'm willing to tolerate it at the present time.

What kind of service life are you getting out of the sphericals/where can I purchase new bearings if/when they need to be replaced. In my bicycle racing days we were swapping out steel cartridge bearings for hybrid ceramic ones in our wheel hubs and cranks. I've got some in a set of race hubs that probably have over 10k miles on them and still spin butter smooth.

I think I'm going to purchase the sphericals from you in a little bit. I don't really mind the road buzz or at least I'm willing to tolerate it at the present time.

What kind of service life are you getting out of the sphericals/where can I purchase new bearings if/when they need to be replaced. In my bicycle racing days we were swapping out steel cartridge bearings for hybrid ceramic ones in our wheel hubs and cranks. I've got some in a set of race hubs that probably have over 10k miles on them and still spin butter smooth.

I haven't had anyone tell me they have replaced the spherical bearings yet and I have been selling them for ~5 years now?

Any place that carries FK or Aurora bearings can get replacements. It's all standard sized easily available components.

Hey Ben... any chance we can do group pricing on these if say I were ready to purchase and Marvelous were ready to purchase?

That said, selling 4 bearings probably isn't enough to make it interesting for you... worth getting flamed for asking though.

Hey Ben... any chance we can do group pricing on these if say I were ready to purchase and Marvelous were ready to purchase?

That said, selling 4 bearings probably isn't enough to make it interesting for you... worth getting flamed for asking though.

2 people isn't a group. :lol:

Stop me before I do something foolish and install poly this weekend!

I'm mad I tell you!

Back