• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

740 New to me 740 overcharging

Acid8000

Just picked up this new 740 turbo wagon. Had to get a battery when I picked it up too. Came home and tested her with a multimeter and she was showing 16.50! Spiking upto 18 next day. So today I just swapped in am old regulator I had in a 740nalternator I had sitting around. This regulator had less life on the rotors then the one I took out. At first she showed only 13.5 but then she jumped back upto 16 volts. Wondering if I should swap the whole alternator?

I thought this was regulator related. Or maybe a whole brand new regulator will do it? Or...! Is this connected to a rotten wiring harness and that's what can cause overcharging sometimes?

As is right now I took out my brand new battery and have my dead one in there and I jump the car to get going. Because I don't want to cook the new battery. But I'm also worried this could be harming other electronics

-jason
It's an 86' 745 turbo

Alternator's internal voltage regulator has probably failed. Time for a replacement alternator. More than just the battery will be damaged by overcharging. Headlight bulbs, windshield wiper motors, and radios don't like overcharging.

Hmm, that makes me wonder - my system runs 14.5 volts when the car is on. Is this overcharging as well?

No anything above 15-15.5 is overcharging really.

P.s- I ended up swapping the altnator itself with an old 74o turbo alt. I kept the regulator with the most life left on its brushes. I patched the bits of wire that had become bare going to the alternator. But yeah swapping alternator still has me at 16volts. Odd.. when the stores open next I will be getting a new voltage regulator. Let y'all know

Last edited:
Feel like such a tool. I did not know multimeter could be wrong. Not just not working. But it shows 2-3 volts higher over say 10 volts. I had tested it on a double a battery myself thinking that was a reliable test. But apparently on low voltages the multimeter shows the right voltage.

Back