• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

ATF mix with water ?

vincentl

Hi last few days I got some problem with my auto gearbox, where it does not shift gear smoothly.
I've check with ATF level, and it seems that it indicated I have extra ATF inside (more than high level) I remembered I pour it just nice up to High indicator on the dip stick.
Besides that it smells weird...

Just wondering if water could leak into Automatic gearbox, if yes where would the culprit be?
KIndly help ! :-(

Instead of changing radiator
would it be a cheaper alternative to change ATF cooling to Cooling coil type (air cooling type) ?

no.

also along with a coolant flush and radiator change, flush the tranny as well.

I'll do the coolant flush and tranny flush.
But I don't understand why changing to Air cooling type ATF is not feasible ?

because all turbo cars should alraedy have a factory a2a cooler for the trans fluid but also still go through the rad .. so you could just bypass the one that does into the rad and ONLY run the external trans cooler and call it a day ... or upgrade to a larger one and be better off

because all turbo cars should alraedy have a factory a2a cooler for the trans fluid but also still go through the rad .. so you could just bypass the one that does into the rad and ONLY run the external trans cooler and call it a day ... or upgrade to a larger one and be better off

my 940 LPT does not comes with an external trans cooler.
Where the only options it has is direct to radiator cooling.

Mike's thinking the -91. 92+ had the radiator setup only.

-- Kane ... Volvo got cheap ... the cars were lasting too long!

Well water could also get into the tranny through the vent tube or a bad seal if it was driven through high water. Also what color is the fluid? Plain water will turn it a thick pink, like Pepto Bismal. A water-coolant mix turns it pink with silvery tones. Also maybe it's just overfull and needs a service?

Well water could also get into the tranny through the vent tube or a bad seal if it was driven through high water. Also what color is the fluid? Plain water will turn it a thick pink, like Pepto Bismal. A water-coolant mix turns it pink with silvery tones. Also maybe it's just overfull and needs a service?

radiator tank replaced and ATF fully flushed .....
Running back normal :)

Back