• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

1983 242 Turbo LH 2.2 Swap Question

I’ve got an ‘83 244 Turbo running LH2.2/breakerless. When I first bought it I had a very similar rhythmic surging at idle. I ended up doing a few things before I got it to smooth out, and to be entirely honest it still surges ever so slightly now, all tuned up.

(in no particular order)

-Make sure timing is dead on, 12 degrees (within two degrees of 12 for emissions)

-Make sure vacuum advance/boost retard distributor is working correctly, without any check valves or anything in the vacuum line between the manifold and the distributor. (Previous owner installed one-way check valve on this line on my car unbeknownst to me, causing the distributor to hold full advance always, resulting in detonation in boost)

-Make sure your fuel injectors are matched with your ECU/MAF combo. If the injectors you’re using are stock (for the ECU anyway)—you’re good. If you’re running bigger, higher flowing injectors you’ll need to add the appropriate sized resistor to the MAF>ECU signal wire to match your injectors so your ECU can function properly (remember—LH2.2 doesn’t do long term fuel trim, bigger injectors are outside of LH2.2’s adjusting ability). I don’t remember the threads I used to gather the info, but it is all on here. Check for threads about upgrading injectors on LH2.2.

-Make sure you have ZERO vacuum leaks. I’ve consistently had issues with my K-Jet injector plugs leaking (can’t source o-ring with strange dimesnsions of plug?). I ended up using an “okay” o-ring with a big gob of silicone all around. This has been the most effective method yet in sealing the old injector holes.

From there, set your timing, idle speed and base mixture by the Volvo procedure (a procedure very well documented on the 700/900 faq website, Google it). You’ll need a short jumper wire to set the idle correctly. Monitoring your O2 Sensor voltage during this will be helpful.

Mine ended up passing smog cleaner than any of my other Volvos, so it can be fixed.

Here’s mine: https://i.imgur.com/wAKrTZx.jpg

Last edited:
Just an update.
Many thank yous to Baileyswhite!
Found a couple of vacuum leaks at the old fuel injectors. Took some ingenuity to find the right fit o-rings.
Still ran Pig rich. Tried to adjust the AMM and realized it sh*t the bed. The screw had no adjustment. Popped the cover and saw that the knob inside was broken.
Got a good used 006 AMM and adapted it to fit. Now Ethiopian Lean.
Should I try a 007?
My AFR Gauge shows idle is bouncing steady around 14ish sometimes in 15.
Problem is when I hit throttle or go into boost it gets scary lean. 15-17ish
So frustrating

While I'm certain you can "find your way" with LH2.2, consider an elegant alternative.... MegaSquirt MS2.

With LH2.2, you WILL be fighting all the "sins of the past", and whomever resto-modded your nice black 242. My son converted his 81 244 from CIS Kjet to MS; built his harness on a Saturday and fired it up that night! This after he went thru multiple LH2.2 ECUs, EZKs, harness tweaks, sensors, et al. Buy an appropriate copy of Tuner Studio, and you are on your way.

Of course, if you prevail, you will master all the previous sins and LH2.2..... and if it runs well, you won't be able to change fueling (much) if your thirst for power grows. Hence the beauty of MS.... it can change and grow as your vehicle does. LH2.2, well, not so much.

For my money, and ONE LEARNING CURVE, the MS way is the righteous way........ you decide, grasshopper!

While I'm certain you can "find your way" with LH2.2, consider an elegant alternative.... MegaSquirt MS2.

With LH2.2, you WILL be fighting all the "sins of the past", and whomever resto-modded your nice black 242. My son converted his 81 244 from CIS Kjet to MS; built his harness on a Saturday and fired it up that night! This after he went thru multiple LH2.2 ECUs, EZKs, harness tweaks, sensors, et al. Buy an appropriate copy of Tuner Studio, and you are on your way.

Of course, if you prevail, you will master all the previous sins and LH2.2..... and if it runs well, you won't be able to change fueling (much) if your thirst for power grows. Hence the beauty of MS.... it can change and grow as your vehicle does. LH2.2, well, not so much.

For my money, and ONE LEARNING CURVE, the MS way is the righteous way........ you decide, grasshopper!

Thank you so much. Buying a MegaSquirt now. RIP K-Jet swapped LH2.2

Back