• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Pdx dl

My catch can setup is as follows:

Valve cover = vent
Yoshi fuel pump plate = vent (https://yoshifab.com/store/redblock-10an-fuel-pump-plate-vent.html)
welded bung on oil pan = oil drain
pre-turbo hose = vapor recirculation

I added the Yoshi fuel pump vent plate just as a 2nd crankcase vent location. I likely would have been fine with just the valve cover vent, but it was easy enough to add so why not.

FWIW, my B21 block does not have the breather box provisions which is why I set mine up the way I did.

Last edited:
Very nice. I've just capped the drain line on my catch can for now. Have not driven much / nothing drains when I check it. I can see condensation in the clear vent hoses to the can though.

Does that NPR drop in?

Does that NPR drop in?

Sort of. :)

I put a spacer on the bottom and two small spacers on the top in order to position it vertically. L/R position is pretty well controlled by the radiator (in other words, it doesn't have much room to move left and right). The oil cooler had to lose the top bracket and the piping had to be redone (some have re-used stock items, YMMV).

On average...

I only did the black hood once. Though I'm giving serious thought to a carbon fiber wrap.

:rofl::rofl:

IMG_7144-M.jpg

That doesn't look terrible? Just some seeping? Is it coming from the rear main or is it coming from up higher? Or is the pic to show that it's the pan gasket?

Best I can tell, the rear main is ok. Need to check the front like Old School suggested. Next time I install a 30 year old motor and don't completely reseal it kick me in the jewels...

A5BDD5A9-A848-4486-89D8-1AC4130AFD49-M.jpg

It really doesn't look that bad with regards to how much oil there is, chances are it's coming from somewhere up high on the motor and seeping down the block. Grab some brake clean and a rag and wipe it all down then heat cycle the motor to see if that gets you some better results.

It really doesn't look that bad with regards to how much oil there is, chances are it's coming from somewhere up high on the motor and seeping down the block. Grab some brake clean and a rag and wipe it all down then heat cycle the motor to see if that gets you some better results.

Yeah, may grab some of that black-light dye too. Only got maybe 100 miles on it. Underside of trans is coated.

This too shall pass.

Trans coated with engine oil? Do you have a full exhaust on there? When I had my open DP and oil leaks, tons was coming out and getting blown all over hell by the exhaust.

Yep, full exhaust.

Been thinking about the pcv. On my old domestic vehicles there was a filtered air intake routed to one valve cover and an ?exhaust? (pcv) on the other. On the Volvo we exhaust the crankcase through the flametrap, but is there a crankcase ?intake?? Or, assuming zero blow by, would it draw a vacuum on the sealed crankcase?

Back