• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Pdx dl

More good news. It's alive!

I finished the battery wiring. No sparks, no fires. Turn the key, and the deep-throated burble of high-performance Swedish engineering fired right up. The air filter didn't fall off and the exhaust sounds really good. Got a cool rasp now. I'm going to stick with the single front muffler and plumb a tail pipe out the back.

Last edited:
Slow ride.

IMG_4581-M.jpg

I know that there was no malice intended, but knowing where I started, that I've put a lot of effort into this, and that I was likely a bit proud to be able to post a photo of the car sitting on the ground; the only response that comes to mind is the old quote about "beauty being in the eye of the beholder." I have to believe that you, I and the rest of the TB family of crazies, hang out here because a smile comes to our faces when we look at, work on, and drive these cars. And I think that's beautiful. Even if it is ugly.

:)

I think a pair of headlights and a grill would do wonders.

With the bumper sitting properly, and front trim installed, the ugliness of that front panel would probably almost disappear.

I know that there was no malice intended, but knowing where I started, that I've put a lot of effort into this, and that I was likely a bit proud to be able to post a photo of the car sitting on the ground; the only response that comes to mind is the old quote about "beauty being in the eye of the beholder." I have to believe that you, I and the rest of the TB family of crazies, hang out here because a smile comes to our faces when we look at, work on, and drive these cars. And I think that's beautiful. Even if it is ugly.

:)

Volvo, smile til your face hurts!

Dropped her at the alignment shop. The manual steering is fine. Very light, even at low speeds. More turns lock to lock, but that's fine. The new (used) tires absolutely transform the car. No longer feels like a death trap. Had it in 5th gear for the first time. Sublime... Got to fix the signals and tail lights. And that head light... Something wrong with the brakes. Going to have a pro bleed them and see what we have. Exhaust sounds good. Going to have it plumbed out the back with just the front muffler. Pretty stoked. Really a fun car to drive. Haven't had a stick shift in 20 years. Kind of like riding a bike.

With the bumper sitting properly, and front trim installed, the ugliness of that front panel would probably almost disappear.

There is a little post/clip on the front bumper that keeps it from drooping. If you are lucky, it has just come loose. If you aren't, its broken. The JY should pretty easily provide with a little patience. The trim can be harder to find, but should be do-able. Redwood Chair may have some for you. The little clips that hold it on can be removed from a JY car by carefully pushing out the pin from the back side with a small pin punch and then pulling it out the front. It will likely take several trips to the JY to accumulate a full set. Be sure to fully seat the trim so you don't lose it on the highway.... Oh, and a few whacks with a dead blow mallet will take care of most of the wonkiness of the panel. You can actually pull it from the car to do so by cutting a couple rivets on each side. Nothing fancy there, just pop rivets.

Good stuff. Thx!

When I swapped front bumpers I ended up with one usable fender / bumper extension post. On the look out now...

My trim was held on with wood screws.

Stopped by IPD today. This could be habit forming. Scored a Bentley manual and some odds and ends. Only a few miles away. Big trouble. LOL.

My bud at the alignment shop said the top bleeders on the front calipers were full of goo. And the L/R caliper wasn't doing anything. Nice to have brakes on all four wheels now.

Think we got our money out of this rotor? Nice to hit on all four cylinders too.

032-M.jpg

Should I put spacers on the rear wheels? They kind of swim in the fenders.

You can, but you are very limited by the length of the stock studs (assuming you are going to maintain minimum thread engagement).

Ben Kaplan sells extended (high strength too) studs. Makes fitting spacers simple.

Previous total: $1650.

Junk yard parts $35.
Align / brake bleed $110.
Tailpipe $70.
Fasteners $25.
Headlight $70.
IPD $135

$2095

Back