• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Post pics of your Volvo.

image_zpsgkmxvcfn.jpg

image_zps6fkeddnb.jpg

image_zpsjbltxyaf.jpg

6CD6E005-5AC1-4C26-97B7-247406D23CA8_zpszxdchci3.jpg

The day I got it, last week. She's no looker right now but it's a car I've been searching for quite a while now. It's a very late 1988, in essence an '89 which means LH2.4, different interior etcetera. But since it's still an '88, it doesn't have to pass any of the stricter emissions tests that apply to 1989+ cars in Sweden. They only test for CO at idle. Plus, since the tax is paid for this year by the PO, and it turns 30 years old next year, it's essentially road tax exempt. :)

"Parts car" 244 has been getting a bit of love recently. Need it out of the driveway
and on the street, 400nzd fine if caught there without WOF/rego on the windscreen.
Not likely, but not good if it happens. So I figured the easiest way was to get it a
WOF and buy some rego, despite the knocking mid/late 80s POS B230K with heron
head/pistons and little bearings knocking themselves to pieces. So here it is post
water blasting to remove lichen:

C78yHEtVAAAElRu.jpg

C78yN-UUwAAKVAx.jpg

C78yWyyVAAArl51.jpg

Might just have to drop a certain non-Volvo engine into it once the driveway is clear again. Currently occupied by this thing:

C7VlRuWU4AA0yXt.jpg

^244 doesn't look half bad. Some rust around the door lock, but not bad.

Latest photo of the 242, just prior to the upper heater hose blowing...

-J

That kiwi 244 is a cool colour
Ha! This, and my wife, and the all-blue interior colour scheme, is why it's not getting crushed. She likes it. I showed her an ultra straight jet black 960 sedan with leather, all mint, driving gloves in glovebox, etc. Not remotely interested, black is boring. She's not. :-D

The colour is a respray, but I think close to original. I can get the code from it if you tell me how. 1988 according to rego.

The ground piece on the door was bubbling bog with minor rust underneath, not really around the lock, I didn't even bother to move it - not a mint car. a few holes around under the trim line, but full of pink plastic now, and will be painted a wrong colour tonight for WOF tomorrow morning along with two minor holes in firewall. PO told me it had quite a bit of creative polyester repairs in it. No bother. If I end up liking it with the V12 in it, I'll strip and weld it.

And because picture thread, holes:

C7_l1vEV4AAxpFu.jpg

^Color code is on the data plate on the strut tower. In your case, probably the driver's strut tower. I think 1988 was the first year of the xxx-xx color code. Older cars usually had a xxx-x code. Code 200 (shown on my wagon in my .sig) usually would be 200-2. Now, colors like black or the early 240 white would have a double digit code before the hyphen. Case in point, black would usually be 19-1.

-J

The 244 is now road legal, and parked out on the road, probably annoying some wealthy person in the area :-D

Interior, excuse low quality shot:
C8Re72KUwAAjz02.jpg

Wrong colour rattle can touch up paint, but close enough, for now:
C8O0_fpVwAAAMQs.jpg

Colour code is/was: 200-2 as predicted. Car was sold/is registered April 1988 but manufacture
could be up to about a year earlier if that's the 87 you're referring to. It's a 240 GL Auto with
knock-knock-knocking B230K carby engine and heron head/piston setup. V12 driveline pending.

Back