• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

240 Heater Core replacement brands?

clintsnow

Hi all, I'm getting ready to replace the heater core in my '89 244 DL and I'm wondering if anyone has recommendations on which brand to purchase. I typically purchase everything from IPD, but when looking around I found this one: https://www.amazon.com/Spectra-Premium-94729-Heater-Core/dp/B000C7RZ8G/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1507566378&sr=8-1&keywords=volvo+244+heater+core which is only $39 compared to the one ipd sells for over $100. Not sure if the cheaper one is crappy and I'd have to redo the job, or if it is sufficient.

thoughts/suggestions?

thanks!

Better to find a good used original heater core. The aftermarket ones have improper construction and don't cool the heater fan resistor properly. Get a used one and have it pressure tested if you aren't sure it is good. It is worth the effort to get the correct part in this instance. Put a listing in wanted section.

Alternatively, you could remove the old one, flush it out, solder the leak shut with silver solder, pressure test and reinstall. If you aren't that good with silver solder a radiator shop will do this for about $40.

Yeah do the above if you can't find a good used original. Either way you want an original style part due to the way they designed the heater system.

How's your A/C? This might be your opportunity to swap to a '93 heater / r134 AC box instead of just replacing the heater core.

On my '85, the original heater core was replaced with an IPD core. What a hack job. I'm guessing that it was done by removing the dashboard and chopping an access hole instead of removing and splitting the box. The replacement core really didn't fit right - there were assorted wooden blocks, plumbers strapping tape and copious weatherstripping holding it in place. '85 is on left, '93 on right (click on img for full size)

See cleanflametrap.com for great dashboard and blower motor replacement instructions.

^To be fair, if all the vac doors work and it's the average POS 240, if you just death wheel the top of the heater box and remove the dash pad it does just pull right out the top without splitting the box and all that trouble. :lol:

Or cut it out the side if the fan works and you don't feel like taking the dash pad off, but the dash pad comes off easy with the cordless impact phillips and buzzing the steering wheel out of the way.

Hard to love half-disposable POS240 as a flat-rater :lol:

^To be fair, if all the vac doors work and it's the average POS 240, if you just death wheel the top of the heater box and remove the dash pad it does just pull right out the top without splitting the box and all that trouble. :lol:

Or cut it out the side if the fan works and you don't feel like taking the dash pad off, but the dash pad comes off easy with the cordless impact phillips and buzzing the steering wheel out of the way.

Hard to love half-disposable POS240 as a flat-rater :lol:

Going in heater core replacement #3, mine have all been over pressurised. I cut the top of my box of as above, much easier than complete disassembly

Overpressure in the heater core can be helped with a restriction put in the heater hose. Stops the pressure surges. They have one stock in my F250.

Back