• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

What is the differnce between GL and DL?

Funrover

I have a 1980 D24. I don't know what model (244 I guess) but how can I tell what it is.. GL, DL???? 244?? 264??? Anything would be great. Thanks!

cant answer the trim level question, i just know that GLT is the best to have (im biased but im missing a turbo from my spec :-()...is it a saloon or a wagon??? it would either be a 244 (4 door saloon) or a 245 (wagon)...will deffo not be a 264 as that was a coupe thingy and it will deffo not be a 242 as that was a 3 door saloon :-D

im curious on the GL/DL thing aso, if you go to wikpedia thingy and look up volvo 240 its all explained in there :)

from kjet.org http://www.k-jet.org/articles/information/200-series-models/

DL (De Luxe) - 1975 to 1993: The DL is the base model and probably the most common. They generally have cloth interiors, steel wheels with chrome hubcaps, and no power options. Available on a 242, 244, or 245.

GL/GLE (Grand Luxe / Extra) - 1975 to 1993: The GL is the luxury model, and somewhat uncommon. They often have leather seats, full power accessories, and more chrome on the body, such as around the grill and bordering the wheel wells. GL cars usually have different wheels than DL cars. In the USA, these are multi-spoked mag wheels. Available on a 244 and 245. The GL trim was also available on a 262 (’76-’77), 264 (’75-’82), and 265 (’76-’85). In 1980, GL was changed to GLE to distinguish the 260-series GL’s from the 240 series GL’s. The 260-series was essentially the same, with a few more luxury options and the V6 motor.

Yeah, DL is base spec, GL is a bit better and GLE is top spec.
here in AUs I have never seen a GLE with manual gearbox, except converted ones. Often have sunroof and leather and power windows and mirrors etc which are rare on GLs and non existant on DLs.
On the late '79s the DL also had smaller square headlights while the GL and GLE had the "tv screen" lights.

Since yours is a D24, that makes it technically a 264 since the D24 is a 6 cylinder, but people often just call those a 240 Diesel rather than a 260 (which is usually the V6 gas engine). A 264 is not a coupe, that was the 262. If you look at your VIN, for 1980 it should be something like VC264xxA1xxxxxx, that would indicate it's a 264. The Diesels were available in DL and/or GL trim depending on the year (not sure about 1980) but the car won't be labeled that way unlike the gas engine version. If it has crank windows it's a DL for sure. In 1980 in the USA all 4 door DLs had power locks, GL gas sedans also had a sunroof, tachometer, heated driver's seat, power windows, air conditioning standard (according to the 1980 Volvo factory brochure - which didn't mention anything about the Diesel).

easiest way to tell for me on the diesels or any other car that isn't labeled for some reason is:

black door locks= DL
fake chrome door lock thingys= GL

sounds very primitive but it hasn't failed me yet, obviously if someone unscrewed them and replaced them with others from another car it won't be accurate.

easiest way to tell for me on the diesels or any other car that isn't labeled for some reason is:

black door locks= DL
fake chrome door lock thingys= GL

sounds very primitive but it hasn't failed me yet, obviously if someone unscrewed them and replaced them with others from another car it won't be accurate.

Well mine has black door handles, back door trim, black grill and a M47 and leather heated seats with power windows. Now what? haha

Mine says GL on the title, but has no chrome anywhere

1980 Diesels were DL trim level. The door panels and parking brake handle, etc, prove otherwise, since they are the GL parts, but the upholstery, etc, is definitely DL. Partly because the 1980 Diesels were considered 260's, rightfully so, since they were 6 cylinder cars, of course. In 1982, the Diesels became 240's and were upgraded to GL trim all around. It wasn't until the 1985 model year, that the Diesels were turned into DL's again. They also were, for some reason, known as '84 models, even though they had the rear fog lamps, 1985 M46 OD relay and wiring, and 1985 paint colors.

VIN will start out as VC26477A1xxxxxx, btw.

-J

DL vs. GL

Both my 245DL's (auto) have the "pleather" interior and came with steel wheels, and manual windows: pretty basic. My 244GL (auto) came with cloth interior, power everything, the aluminum Cordova wheels (turbine-style), hand-crank sun-roof, but no tach in the dash.

Refinished two sets of Virgo's and slapped them on the 245's and they look much nicer.

Back