• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

1984 Volvo 240 stalls

kg4gyp

My 1984 240GL with 2.3 fuel injection engine stalls if you give it gas. Cranks fine. Idles fine. With the car in park, I can ever so slowly push on the accelerator and it speeds up with no problem. If I give it gas quickly it dies. Replaced fuel pressure regulator and the pressure is running about 28PSI idle increasing to 38PSI when I push on the accelerator (lowers vaccum pressure) . I checked the air flow sensor & temp sensor & 2 switches on the throttle body by Chilton manual and they all check ok but I don't know whether Chilton's check out proceedure is accurate. I have a 1985 computer module that I tried in place of the original but that made no difference.
Any ideas anyone???
kg4gyp@yahoo.com

stalling

Hi,
I would suggest that you check the motor over carefully for vacuum leaks. Also how old is the O2 sensor? Stalling many times can be related to running lean. Pull a spark plug and look at it to get an idea of how the motor is running. Compare it to the chart in the manual. Generally if it is white then it's running lean. Also the Air Mass Meter can cause stalling if it is bad. The flexible hose that connects the AMM to the throttle body is known for sneaky air leaks that can cause stalling. If you can't find any leaks visually or by hearing. Get a squirt bottle of water and spray the water around any suspect areas.

Other simple things that can cause stalling are bad or weak ignition wires and worn distributor cap'n rotor. Even the timing
belt if it is old and getting loose because it hasn't been tensioned can make the motor stall easier.

Wish you well,

My sister's car used to hardly keep an idle. The culprit was a bad AMM. Use the ol soapy water method on the intake hose and check for vacuum hoses where both ends aren't connected to something.

I also got the same problem with my 1986 NA 740 with the B230F engine as well. I check all the hoses, the IAC, and nothing is getting better. I saw on brickboard.com in the FAQ that the hall sensor (in the distributor) could be the problem. I'll try to check that out this week-end and will let you know if it's working. Let me know if you find out what is your problem, I could have the same. Thank's and hope I can help, Marc!!!

Probably the AMM

Sounds like the Air Mass Meter based on other posts. Could be failed in what is called the "limp home" condition - runs but no power. Ignition can't be the problem if it runs.

Other possibility could be the Throttle Position switch, but I would suspect the AMM first.

Saw used one on ebay for $75.00.

Back