• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Feelings about 240 dash caps...?

districtmotors

I've got a 1990 245 that I have looking pretty nice. Lots of little cosmetic improvements have been done and the only remaining eye sore is a very cracked dash. What's the feeling on dash caps? Do they look ok? Any recommended vendors? Are they hard to install? And if so, any recommendations on where to buy a carpet dash cover?

20150613_185343.jpg

Tom did a fantastic job with his dash cap for his coupe. If yours is black it will be a piece of cake.
20150613_184433.jpg

Windshield out makes it easier but having the dash out is really required to get it firmly attached in all the right places.

The CoverLay caps come with a silicon attachment adhesive reported to be good for 400 degrees of sunshine. The problem is that it takes an hour to completely adhere. Holding all the places down tight on the adhesive for an hour is a real test. I used 3M double backed attachment tape in addition to the adhesive. Outlined the edges then filled inside with the tape. Mine came out firmly attached.

20150518_154658.jpg

http://forums.turbobricks.com/showpost.php?p=5170841&postcount=147

I have one in my 83 that the PO installed. I was so deep into getting the car cleaned and running (sat for 10+ years) that I didn't even notice the cap for a couple of months.

The caps are crap. Temporary fix at best

I have a few perfect dashboards stored inside the house but I'm too lazy to put them into my cars

Carpet for the win

I have a cap on my 1980 Camaro. It looked great for 5 years, then buckled in the rear. I'm going to buy another one. I think mine was $75 or $80 so it wasn't bad. A reproduction dash is $900 for the Camaro, so I have to buy a bunch of these to hit that price.

Back