• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

volvo 340 to b200et conversion

hbsoftware

Hi
i am from Portugal and am currently swapping a b200et from a 740 turbo into my recently accquired 340 1.4
i already have the loom and gas tank sorted and the 340 ready to receive the new engine.
i will be ditching the rear gearbox and installing a custom prop and an axle from other car
finding a 360 here is impossible so its my only option

the car...bought for 190? plus 25? towing fee and sold the engine for 125? - current cost 90? :)

file.php

first job was patching rust holes...it was my first time mig welding , only knew how to weld stick
file.php

file.php

file.php

engine is mocked in place with some wood blocks

file.php

i have a clearance problem with the clutch cylinder
maybe i will convert to cable, 340 pedal is cable anyway
file.php

today was sunday so i started making the sump
i still have to make baffle plates because the pickup sits rigt at the rear of the sump
the sump now clears the steering rack but barely

file.php

today was a holiday..dont know what exactly but i had some spare time and made the engine mounts
they were tacked in place with the engine positioned and centered, then i removed the engine and subframe and welded them, also welded a nut to mount a cylindrical rubber mount...the mounts are rated for 300kg each so i think they will be strong enough...i used the original volvo 740 aluminium brackets on the engine.
the mounting of the subframe to the car will be reinforced but i didnt have the time today

file.php

file.php

classicswede thanks for the photos!
but the cable pulls and the clutch cylinder pushes so i would have to modify the fork and probably modify the box
if i convert to cable my idea is to weld a bracket to the rear of the box so the cable can pull on the original fork. hope it makes sense
here where i live we call it a clutch fork, dont know for sure if its the correct term in English but it is the steel bracket that acts on the bearing to compress the pressure plate.

Clutch fork is the correct term. Most lhd 740's used a cable with a cable fork but for clearance on the steering your idea makes sense.

Have you looked on 300power to see how others have done the conversion?

didnt know there were 740s with cable clutch..seems a great idea to try to source a cable and fork from a 740...dont forget i am using the ****ty box with overdrive, those also had a cable clutch on some models??
the thing is every single volvo 300 to b200 or b230 uses a volvo 360 and never a 340....340 conversions usually go the renault f7p or b18ft route... but i think i will find a way to solve these issues . tomorow i will try to finish the crossmember and the next week i will be doing the gear box mount and maybe starting on the transmission tunnel... lets see how it will turn out. thanks for the feedback

subframe is ready

file.php

and mounted

file.php

started closing the tunnel hole using the 740 tunnel. it is now tacked in place and i have to cut some side plates and do a massive welding job

file.php

today i spent 6 hours removing sound deadening from the passenger side and making progress on closing the tunnel
found a bunch of rotten spots and pinholes, the more i poke the more i find :roll:

file.php

file.php

Investigate a "pull type" clutch slave. I've been using one for about 5 yrs. Works great.
Got the idea from a Cobra kit website.

i think(hope) that with the 340 low weight and a regular b200et with no mods(maybe just 10psi of boost ) the m47 will hold on for a long time...it held on for many miles on the original 740 which weighs like a tank.

wow that pull type clutch cylinder thing seems so incredibly easy to install, just one bolt to the gearbox and an adjustable rod bolted to the fork...that is an amazing idea thank you very much sir i did not knew that it existed

Back