• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

1973 142 - The Stepchild of a Stepchild!

You can also use a good etch primer on that metal. The acidity of the primer has a way with very very minor flash rust.

Matt b & Iansplatinum -
I will be using some phosphoric acid on any pits, prior to epoxy primer.
Had an issue with my compressed air filter / dryer. I decided to quit collecting water. I was getting a lot of moisture at my air tools, so I stopped and ordered a Devilbiss QC3 filter / dryer for my hose reel. It came in today and I just finished installing it. Pricey, but good reviews. I also like that it has a warning to change the filter.
I'll see how it works and, if it works as advertised, I'll order one for my blast cabinet and for my workbench hose.
I also reworked the piping to my hose reel so it should keep any moisture from getting into it.
I'll try it out Saturday morning, plans tomorrow evening.
Steve

Big shout out to member vertigosity for giving up his time and help today getting the windshield corners!!!
While I was down that way, I took a detour to Dyuss, AR to see the boyhood home of Johnny Cash. It's been restored by Arkansas State University to how it looked in when he was a young boy. Pretty cool to see, even if it is just a little old house.
Looking forward to getting back under the Swede tomorrow and get some more cleaning done on it.
Steve

Any info you can share on those different upholstery options? I'd love to find a source for those original-style striped fabrics. Any link or contact info would be appreciated!

I do not know what the codes were for the different colors.
VP Autoparts still has front seats listed. but I may have gotten the last of the full rear sets. Looks like they only have a rear back listed now.
http://www.vp-autoparts.com/US/main...14011004&gidlevel=0&promo=none&startoffset=50
Steve.

Took off the driver side fender, then finished cleaning undercoating & sanding the driver side inner fender today.
Got a good pic of the rust also.
I'll get out & finish the passenger side tomorrow, it's half finished. Need to remove the fender & get the upper area, and side of the cowl.

5s7Vtc1.jpg

IgdvVCQ.jpg

Sss18B0.jpg

Passenger side done. No rust on it, other than some surface rust where cowl side, bulkhead & inner fender join. Both sides have it. There was a ginormous glob of seam sealer on each that had hardened with age.
I bought a "spot blaster" off of Chinazon, going to try it for those areas. Can't quite get to them with anything else I have, so I'll try it out.
No pics, looks like the other side, just without the rot by the floorpan.
Next up - removing the seats & carpet so I can get a grip on the rust that needs repaired.
Steve

Body looks in really good condition!

I've been following along so maybe I already saw and forgot, but what's your overall plan for the car? You're well on your way to a full up resto!

Body looks in really good condition!

I've been following along so maybe I already saw and forgot, but what's your overall plan for the car? You're well on your way to a full up resto!

Overall, the body isn't bad, especially for a 140. It has some rust around the front and rear of the driver side rear wheel opening, the rear of the passenger side wheel opening, the windshield corners, and the area in the last photo.
The drip rail and roof above the driver's door is dented, and the passenger door is rusted out. I have a replacement door.
It's just going to be stock, the only "non-stock" items will be the VP lowering springs and sport exhaust, the VTO Minilite wheels, and the 74 striped interior. Oh, and the stereo, but it will be hidden and an old Volvo stereo will be in the lower radio location.
Thanks,
Steve

Cool, thanks for the rundown. How bad is the rear wheel area rust? Hopefully confined to the outer arch where the patch panels are easy to tack in!

Passenger side is nowhere as bad, thankfully. One small rust hole, the rest is pitted and can be saved with phosphoric acid.
Got the patch cut out for it but won't mess with it until the remainder of the underside is fully cleaned. That should be done today or tomorrow at the latest (finally!).
Ordered a front floor patch panel for the driver side. Once it arrives, I'll see how well it fits. It's pitted so bad that I don't think I can get to clean metal to just patch it. I may need to replace the whole thing.
Steve

NZtWhnk.jpg

Disappointing but it looks like you caught it fairly soon. Where are you ordering your panels ?

We've had to make some panels fit with some "convincing" here, but VP has good panels.

I got the rear wheel opening pieces from VP, but the driver's floor pan is coming from Ray Buck Auto Parts.
Pretty common to need to "convince" aftermarket patch panels.

If that's the worst of the rust then you're in really good shape! I'm sure you're relieved to be nearly done with all of the scraping and on to real repair work too.

Back