• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Oil Starvation road race b230

RoadRacer4Life

Owner: DeathWagon
300+ Club
Hey guys has anyone experienced any oil starvation issues after making hard left hand turns while accelerating.. Working on getting our chump/champ car back into racing action and took it to a track day at Barber's. When coming out of turn 5 and down shifting down to 2nd gear I would notice the oil pressure light blink and the oil pressure gauge drop. Has anyone baffled a b230 oil pan?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dmKmN-Jzvw0&feature=youtu.be

Keep your eye on the dash at the 13:08 mark

Thanks guys..

-Sam

That's weird. I will say we had this happen once, but it was due to a rolled oil pump transfer tube seal.

On a side note your skill level is beyond mine. I most certainly would have brought out the yellow at some point...

^I also do this if I’m going to a track day.
You can also wide sump the pan and/or add a sump with trap doors. Hiperfauto sells a b20 trap door kit that wouldn’t be too hard to make work on a slanted engine.
Pretty common problem with red blocks when you drive them hard. They’ll also starve for oil under very hard braking as well.

I noticed it more after I installed a remote oil filter kit. My seals have all gone bad due to the massive blowby and my current engine loses about a quart ever couple of hours. Fill it too the line then add a quart.

You could also do an accumulator.

That's weird. I will say we had this happen once, but it was due to a rolled oil pump transfer tube seal.

On a side note your skill level is beyond mine. I most certainly would have brought out the yellow at some point...

I pretty distinctly remember overfilling a little as well. Not a quart, but maybe half that?

Hmmm never had an issue at sonoma in a b230 in an amazon on a team i filled in for. They havant had issues either. I have a 245 and didnt have issues either. Ran jgr oil 10w40 though. Amazon team ran cheap stuff. Coming thru the carousel there is a pretty good left downhill turn. These were both NA cars.
Agree with above add 1 qt. Our engine teacher ssid put and oil pan in the passenger seat and fill it with oil and drive around. Youll see how much it moves around especially under braking, corners acceleration etc.
You could ask pat244ti his car is faster and turbo. Other fast volvo guys are two stupid to know any better. Turbo 745 thats pretty stout.

Last edited:
RSI Da Bomb mod! 3 inch exhaust pipe.

Same thing from tuff240:

http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=330429&page=3

newmotor018_zpsiyrierxj.jpg

I noticed it on my 244 at Sonoma coming through the carousel. As others have mentioned, I've only noticed it when the oil is in the crosshatch range on the dipstick. Keeping it overfilled about a quart keeps it away.

I've got an Accusump if you want it though Sam.

I don’t see the inside pics, but the top and front of that cheek extend 2” into the pan. The baffles around the pickup are also about 2” tall and angled in.

45099132.jpg

It’s torch welded with the wrong tip. Sorry.

Same issue with the M52; nobody on the team was willing to try their hands welding the aluminium oil pan, so we went Accusump as well. Packaging is a bit tight, but it seems to do the trick.

Got any inside pics of a pan i welded baffles in?
I like to put perimeter shelves in at dipstick-full height, but who knows where all my corolla, datsun, b23 etc pics are at the moment. No time to search.

Team Slovo races a 240T in Lucky Dog and WCMA endurance racing and we use a 3 quart Accusump which totally solves the low oil pressure we encountered in Turns and under hard braking when running stock, in longer races it also makes up for lost oil as GTJordan says.

Back