• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

The Buchka 242 Fake Racecar

Scotty, the balance shaft failure was caused by water intrusion into the V of the engine. At the rear, the bearing is a sealed unit, and the water would collect and cause the bearing to rust and fail. There is a bulletin from Volvo on drilling a drain hole for the water so that it can no longer fill up the valley and damage the bearing.

Awesome that you got 2, Buchkas! Gonna be epic when you're done for sure. Hope I'm still alive to witness it...:rofl:

Scotty, the balance shaft failure was caused by water intrusion into the V of the engine. At the rear, the bearing is a sealed unit, and the water would collect and cause the bearing to rust and fail. There is a bulletin from Volvo on drilling a drain hole for the water so that it can no longer fill up the valley and damage the bearing.

Awesome that you got 2, Buchkas! Gonna be epic when you're done for sure. Hope I'm still alive to witness it...:rofl:

What would you know RP? It's not like you work on them or something

scotty, the balance shaft failure was caused by water intrusion into the v of the engine. At the rear, the bearing is a sealed unit, and the water would collect and cause the bearing to rust and fail. There is a bulletin from volvo on drilling a drain hole for the water so that it can no longer fill up the valley and damage the bearing.

Awesome that you got 2, buchkas! Gonna be epic when you're done for sure. Hope i'm still alive to witness it...:rofl:

drill the hole!!!

Thanks, Rob! We're pre-emptively adding wheelchair access to the car so we can finally drive it when we're all old and decrepit.

Dropped the engine in the bay last night. It's within a few millimeters of the intended position. Looks like the cowl area is going to need some modifying to fit the intake manifold. Firewall will also come back a bit to make room for the coolant manifold that bolts to the back of the heads.

photo%25203.JPG

The front two cylinders line up with the front axle centerline. Not quite mid engine. :(

photo%25204.JPG

This pic shows how the exhaust ports are offset from the ports. The front one is especially bad. "Fixing" it would be a pretty ****ty task that neither of us is interested in doing. Hopefully we can get a head on a flow bench to see how it matches the other ports.

photo%25201.JPG

Just to the left of the 'front' exhaust port in the last pic above are two bosses/holes where something attached. Was making room for that accessory the reason they moved that port rearward? (talking about the 2 larger holes, to the 2 smaller over/under ones....) Both heads configured similarly?

Thank you for the useless post.

Hummm... You have such a sense of humor!

And explain why it is so useless? Didn't he ask for good pictures of a Northstar engine? I looked at the pictures in the search result and there are some good Northstar pictures in there.

It looked like a packaging choice to me. The performance targets Volvo decided upon could be still be met by moving the ports around - like ya'll, I'd be curious to see what the flow bench offers up. May not be much of an issue - less so with boost, if it comes to that.

After years of removing material, we finally added some.

photo%25202.JPG

TIG welding, complete with a costume change.

photo%25203.JPG

Once they're welded up they'll support the front end structural tubes that run back to the safety cage.

photo%25204.JPG

Back