• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Fred's 1989 360 5-door hatch, goin' for (low) 15s

Do some of the 240 dizzies have 44-2-2 setups inside them? Otherwise how would that help?

Yep, quite a few of them here, it seems.

I went pseudo COP on my 16v 240 swap:

DYZfHBWVwAA84WH.jpg

I hate distributors with a passion - unlikely to go that way once FreeEMS is installed.

The K jet ones have a hall sensor, small loom with a module and normal coil. Would be a cheap easy way of getting it running right for now

What signal pattern is inside those?

I've actually seen a couple in Auckland owned by two people I know, but these old Volvos very rarely show up in the junk yards here.

Sadly, it'll probably be easier to just pull the engine and sort it out - it's top of my "medium to big" project list now, anyway.

Not met personally, but have crossed emails and I bought some 240 corner lights from him a while back. He used to own this car, there was one other guy in between. That's how I found out the clutch was done prior to Logan (if he's to be believed), and at least, the PO did 30k after Logan and before I salvaged it. Took it for a drive last night :-) It's not tooooooo bad with 98 RON in it.

So the other day I got the timing sorted, after some trial and error and retry:

Figured out where to redrill for 45 degrees less advance.

Drilled there, car turned over super easy for the first time, but would not make enough torque to start and occasionally burned fuel in the intake.

Drilled another hole about 20mm away in between original and new hole, mounted sensor in there, fired up immediately and easily with a smooth idle and more power and no pinging and about 18BTDC at idle ie a bit more than stock, but 98 RON in the tank (also a lot more than stock).

MIG welded a spare diff and installed with new 70w75 Penrite pro synth gear oil and similar 80w140 diff oil and went drag racing.

18.934 best ET (2 other 18.9XX and lots of 19.0XX from 18 runs)
70.10 MPH best trap speed
2.411 best 60 foot (**** old street tyres on the stock wheels and new RE003 on 15x? wheels similar, worst was 2.571)

(not necessarily the same runs, had a few slow runs with missed shifts into third but good initial launch).

Lots of wheel hop. No where near enough power.

I have some plans in my head about how to remedy the setup of the car before I drop 200-250hp in it later.

I'll get some photos in here with the numbers and dial on the side etc :-)

Welded diff did 160km (100miles) of towing a 940 caravan body and a lot of vicious wheel hopping burnouts and launches and only had a slight whine on accel on the way home, quiet trailing quiet light throttle, so I assume the bearings took some minor damage and will get worse with time. It's fairly subtle and the gear surfaces were not in good condition when we opened it up to weld it so I wasn't expecting much, therefore it exceeded expectations :-D

Definitely needs a stronger 7 or 7.5" diff with a real LSD in there. I feel like an animal driving around a MIG locked diff even though I've had them in 3 other vehicles in the past including my 740 sedan recently-ish.

Needs stiffer engine/trans mounts and maybe some braces from tube to block to protect the glass-jaw bell housing that I've weakened with extra holes.

Likely needs some traction bars under the leaf springs.

Definitely needs all new HD shocks and stiffer slightly lower front springs and maybe the rear springs reset a little.

Some rust repairs needed, too, damn it. Nothing too major.

Damn good to have it idling and driving normally though, first time in 6+ years for the car and the entire time of my ownership.

Good to be doing some skids in it, too. The guy that let me use his 2 post hoist to install the MIG diff had a padlocked gate and would not let me leave without doing a burnout INSIDE his shop. So I did:

Eo85r-iUUAEfCRk

Eo85vChVQAA8ZSY

Eo85z1fVgAEn8b_

Eo9Diy9UUAAvZoV

Eo9DjtGU0AAopjr

Eo9DkZ1UcAAHdZM

I mean, I would have preferred a more gentle initial test, but.... I had to leave, and that was the only way they'd let me go :-D

Donor diff that had been raced at Manfeild in the past, hence low expectations of condition and 2 new RE003 tyres that I put on some rare dished JDM wheels (4x100 has some advantages):

EoyL764UcAAE8h2

Bad pics of the wheels, will get some of a pair on the car soon, bottom ones in second picture:

DJ6H0sHUIAAoabw

DXl3Wq4VMAAoOK0

More posts soon. Will have some peace/time soon...

Back