• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

SquareD's slow and steady 945 tarbo project

Jeebus that thing is clean. I'm feeling woefully under-prepared for this weekend.

Looking forward to checking out that shine in person!

Thanks. It's not perfect, there are some scratches and clearcoat etching here and there, but it shines up nicely. Looking forward to checking out the 242. The meet should be a good time.

Pics from the VCOA Midsommar Meet the weekend of June 12th. Took home 1st place in the 2/7/9 class.

DSC04142_zps6nrtkyhv.jpg

Photo%20Jun%2014%2011%2010%2026%20AM%203.jpg

150614%20MidSommar-39F%20MK.jpg

I went ahead and swapped the intake for a non-EGR one from my spare engine. I'll swap the exhaust mani when I put the 15g on. I just used an O2 sensor plug for the exhaust manifold for now. I was surprised that with a little PB blaster the EGR bits came apart pretty easily. Went ahead and did new gaskets for the TB and the intake and cleaned everything up.

Took it for a short drive and the intake-side ic pipe popped off. I'll clean the pipes up and take it for a longer drive tomorrow. Last step will be swapping in a non-EGR EZK chip.

This may sound a bit crazy, but use hairspray to seal your intercooler pipes. It sets up slowly and isnt as strong as glue, but I have used it quite a few times with great success.

This may sound a bit crazy, but use hairspray to seal your intercooler pipes. It sets up slowly and isnt as strong as glue, but I have used it quite a few times with great success.

I think I've heard about that before. I'll try that if just cleaning it up doesn't do the trick. Thanks for the tip.

How good is your AC?

Couldn't help but notice you placed a brand new AC compressor... and now I'm wondering how cold your AC is at the vents? Would you say its modern car good ... or still typical of a 90s volvo?

A few things taken care of before the VCOA Midsommar Meet. In the past couple months I've done a diff fluid service, brake fluid flush, coolant flush, and most recently this:

20150531_183712_zpsjkwvba4i.jpg

New OEM AC compressor. The wife preferred we have AC for the trip, since she's use to modern vehicles. :roll::-P Probably do the tranny fluid, since we'll be on the road for the weekend. I have some new polish and sealant to try out, but this Saturday I have an appt to take a couple of remaining dings out. We'll see if I get to the full clay bar and polish, but it's pretty much ready for the show.

Kinda bummed the M90 swap isn't ready and I haven't clocked and bracketed the 15g, but at this point it doesn't really bother me. Bite size projects are easier to do at this point in my life and the motivation to do the m90 and 15g swap is there, just have to find the time to do it right. The car is running stellar and like I said in the previous post, I've been doing some wire-brushing, cleaning and painting of engine bay stuff. Just getting things sorted well and cleaned up is pretty satisfying.

#grownman945t

I'd say it's 90s volvo cold. It works really well until you stop moving for a little while, then it's only good. It's not as cold as my dd 4runner, but then again it doesn't really get driven on 90+ degree days so it doesn't have to be.

DSC04459.jpg

Finished the EGR delete and Yoshifab CCV/catch can installation. Mr. Babbs hooked me up with a modded, non-EGR EZK chip and had it shipped to me super fast for super cheap; big thanks to him. Let it idle and warm up, let it sit and then took it for a drive. Check engine light didn't come on, so it looks like it was a successful couple weekends of work. There's always other projects to tackle tho.

Last edited:
That's clean yo. :nod:

Best 945 on tb

Did you spit shine that thing, damn, looks good!

Thanks guys. I can say that the EGR delete definitely seemed to pep the car up. I've been disappointed in the lack of urgency this car has with the mods it has. It seems like it's finally developed slight traction issues in certain situations. It's not as quick as my old 740t, but it finally feels sturgeonfacingly quick for what it is. I've decided that the T5 injectors aren't up to snuff and the AW annoys me even more now. Looking forward to the 15g and M90 swaps, hopefully by spring those will be done and it'll be close to what I had in mind when I decided to slotted this into the project car role.

Photoshop! That thing is filthy in person.
(in bizarro world)

Lol. Took it to Cars and Coffee this last weekend without detailing it and felt like an abject failure. :-( I did put a brand new OEM front bumper on it. Dude, it's so dang crispy.

Back