• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Jimbo's Green Wagon: 1972 145S

vwbusman66

Stößelstange über alles
Current state:
ohaIH1Gl.jpg

So yeah, I saw this car the last week of June '18 during my daily CL trolling. Two days later, it popped up in the Orphan thread. I drove to Carlisle from Bel Air to look at it Thursday night (June 28?). Struck up a deal Friday night. Paid and brought it home Saturday morning (June 30).

Plans:
<s>Brakes- source all the parts to rebuild the Girling brake system from RockAuto</s>
<s>Drivetrain- Flush fluids, good used radiator, maybe an m41 or t5 trans down the line, HIF6 carbs, D cam, steel cam gears</s>
<s>Source and install missing lenses</s>
<s>Suspension overhaul- new shocks/struts, bushings, used iPD front sway bar, vintage iPD front springs</s>
<s>Patch holes at bottom of the windshield</s>
<s>Drive to WVU for sophomore year</s>
<s>Drive to MountainMeet 2k19</s>

As bought:

Last edited:
Better option, if not going full-on DCOE would be a pair of HS6 carbs. Install them and get them jetted properly. Or, you could MS it, install D-Jet, K-Jet, or KE-Jet from a pre-Digifant A2 VW Golf or Jetta, etc. Buddy of mine who owned a 122S with a B20B swapped on the last option. It actually ran pretty nicely and got decent fuel economy for a car with a column-shift Bw35.

Better option, if not going full-on DCOE would be a pair of HS6 carbs. Install them and get them jetted properly. Or, you could MS it, install D-Jet, K-Jet, or KE-Jet from a pre-Digifant A2 VW Golf or Jetta, etc. Buddy of mine who owned a 122S with a B20B swapped on the last option. It actually ran pretty nicely and got decent fuel economy for a car with a column-shift Bw35.

John,
Fortunately, the PO included two L Jet B20 manifolds at my request after pondering about the possibility of MicroSquirt with such an engine.

Step one however, is to make it run with the HIF 6's, get a title, and make the thing able to be driven around the block. THEN, I can start to play with performance.

Sweet 145, I love that color.

Y nobody beside Volvo use HIF6's?

I don't know if you're familiar with HIF6's already or know about Joe Curto http://joecurto.com ?He has all the parts to rebuild 'em. I had to place two orders because I didn't give him good info the first time (and all HIF6's are not the same); If you want I can give you the details on what I ended up needing.

July 4th update (sorry for the delay)

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/g3cTmP6BXBA" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Stoked to see this! I think I saw this on CL not that long ago. I was tempted but I have enough projects. Cool color! Can’t wait to see what you do with it.
Good luck!

Also, here are some more pictures of the car!

YgoaNHIl.jpg

The sad state of the interior at the moment...

68YyTSJl.jpg

5q3Gz1dl.jpg

i466Gpdl.jpg

hX7f4rEl.jpg

DcnDG5Vl.jpg

Address that fuel line leak at the carbs before you run it again. You can see it dripping in the vid.

^Yup. Friends of the family lost their '71 164 due to a fuel leak like that. Fuel hit the hot exhaust manifold and caught fire.

-J

Address that fuel line leak at the carbs before you run it again. You can see it dripping in the vid.

It?s actually the square profile o ring the seals the float bowl.
Waiting to order parts until the title paperwork arrives.

Cool car. I don't see any mention of a fuel system in your Google Sheet. That ended up being one of the most annoying parts of my swap. I don't know if a later 240 wagon tank will drop into your car, but that's definitely what I'd be trying to do.

Some welding would be necessary, plus access to a 1974-93 donor. The rear floor pan is different from the axle back. Whereas the trunk floor (or storage compartment bottom in the case of a 145) is the tank in a 1967-73 car, the floor pan comes up behind the rear seat where the tank sits underneath, then there's a drop off behind the tank, which extends to the tail panel.

The frame rails are also different, having the boxed in sections for the bumper shocks, which means that the 1967-72 rear bumper can't be used without fabrication of new mounts. You'd have to use at least a 1973 rear bumper in place of it, mounted to a pair of 1974 bumper shocks.

The good news is that you could then use whatever 240 exhaust setup you wanted, since the 1974 145 is essentially a 240 with the 140 suspension back there. If you were to take the complete floor from a late 1974 145, you could even mount a 240 parking brake setup, instead of having the handle on the outside of the driver's seat, next to the door. From what I've read, the late production 1974 cars have the necessary mounting holes and bracketry to make it possible to use a 240 parking brake handle between the seats. If the '74 145 I owned back in 2001-02 had been a later car, I probably would've done the conversion, while I was building it up.

Back