• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

760 Bad Alternator ?

I had a Jaguar once that would happily spin the engine at a voltage lower than the electronics would operate. That's why the 10v is important.

Voltage drop test the ground wire. They go bad. Google how to do the test.

Does a test lamp illuminate on an UNPLUGGED exciter wire, key on?

Pull the voltage regulator. Anything left of the brushes?

I would suggest going with the carb spray check as mentioned above. If it still won't start. Remove the spark plugs and look at them. They may be fouled. After sitting a couple of years with ethanol gas they are usually fouled. The other thing that happens is clogged injectors from sitting.

It is junk to begin with. I would not expect 2 year old ethanol gas to be usable. In the marine environment, i.e. pleasure boats, over winter gas requires stabilizer.

The ethanol evaporates. Then the gas slowly turns to crap. I recently repaired two cars that were sittling at least a couple of years. Both had clogged injectors from sitting. The one also had the most disgusting fouled plugs I've ever seen.

Get some cheap copper plugs like A64 autolites to help you get it running.

A car builder friend is coming over next weekend to help me. His suggestions have been inline with what you all have suggested.
I'll update.
Thanks guys!

I would suggest going with the carb spray check as mentioned above. If it still won't start. Remove the spark plugs and look at them. They may be fouled. After sitting a couple of years with ethanol gas they are usually fouled. The other thing that happens is clogged injectors from sitting.

It appears that DL was spot on...
Used carb spray and the car started immediately, but would not idle without stalling.
Pulled the plugs and, sure enough, one of the plugs was very badly fouled.
Installed new plugs and she is running like a champ.
Will install new wires soon as the current wires are the original. I did intend to change the wires today, however, it appears the new wires I bought were in the wrong box so I got the wrong part.

Thanks all for your suggestions and advice! I'm a bit embarrassed about my naivete and thinking I had a major issue, but so happy the solution appears to be simple and my Black Beauty is back on the road, again. :)

Also, how long will 93 octane gasoline remain good? 2 months? 2 years?

Thx.

Thru trial and error, we discovered that even ethanol fuel(some had stabilizer added, while many did not) will last over 2 years if stored in an environmentally controlled building. My client stored over 10 collector cars of various vintage while I had 2 Volvo 240's in a bldg, relatively dry and almost perfect 65-70f all winter.

The evaporation/recirculation system may affect things, but the oldest of cars(Model T) to the newst(08 Jag) all fired up without issue some after 3-5+ years of storage.

Good one. Nice when it's the simple stuff. Happy rolling!

I'm pleased! Feels good to have my Black Beauty turning the wheels on the road!

Thru trial and error, we discovered that even ethanol fuel(some had stabilizer added, while many did not) will last over 2 years if stored in an environmentally controlled building. My client stored over 10 collector cars of various vintage while I had 2 Volvo 240's in a bldg, relatively dry and almost perfect 65-70f all winter.

The evaporation/recirculation system may affect things, but the oldest of cars(Model T) to the newst(08 Jag) all fired up without issue some after 3-5+ years of storage.

My 760 sat in an enclosed dry garage for approximately 18 months and fired right up and is running like a champ. My garage is not as warm as 65-70F all winter, though. I do not remember if I added a stabilizer when I made the decision to store it rather than looking into my issue immediately.

940 Alternator repair

Hello All:
the Alternator in my 940 quit. A friend told me the best way to own a Volvo was to own 2. one for parts. OK, I've owned 4 940s and when I was through with one I took off many parts. I have 3 alternators so I don't have a problem.
I want to disassemble the faulty alternator but doe some reason I can't get the housings apart. I've taken out all the screws but it srill won't come apart. Has anyone taken one of the 100Amp alternators apart and how did you do it?
Regards,
BillBard

Hello All:
the Alternator in my 940 quit. A friend told me the best way to own a Volvo was to own 2. one for parts. OK, I've owned 4 940s and when I was through with one I took off many parts. I have 3 alternators so I don't have a problem.
I want to disassemble the faulty alternator but doe some reason I can't get the housings apart. I've taken out all the screws but it srill won't come apart. Has anyone taken one of the 100Amp alternators apart and how did you do it?
Regards,
BillBard

This really should be a separate thread.

Sometimes they get stuck. A little heat and persuasion may work.

Make sure you mark the case halves so you put it back together correctly. Don't forget to mark the middle section of the windings if separate that as well.

Do you have repair parts like new bearings, brushes, and regulator? Get the repair parts before you spend time taking apart an alternator.

Back