• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

LH2.2 into an LH2.4 Car - Whats Needed?

Hey everyone, I looked through the forums and couldn't quite find my question so here's another LH2.2/LH2.4 thread.

I have a 93 240 n/a with an AW71 which I'd like to replace with a B230FT from an 88 740. I had originally planned on keeping it LH2.2 from the 740, but the more I've looked into it, the more it seems that the head mounted distributor from the 740's B230FT wont fit properly in the 240's bay. If I swap the FT into the 240, will I have to remove the head mounted dizzy, plug it's hole, and add a block mounted dizzy? If so, since the 240 is already LH2.4 would it make more sense to get a new (to me) turbo LH2.4 ignition? If I were to go this route would my MAF and other sensors still work properly/migrate over to the older turbo motor?

Thanks in advance!

Take the b230FT

Swap in a distributor from an 83-93 240 and use the accompanying intermediate shaft. This gives you a chance to replace all of the front seals and timing belt for that leak free goodness.

Find the ECU's from a 90-95 7/9 Turbo. The newer the better. Some have EGR. Some dont. This can be dealt with in a bunch of different ways.

Use the harness, sensors and MAF from the 240.

Use the flexplate and the crank position sensor from the 240 on the 740 block.

Have a downpipe made that clears the stock oil cooler and fits in the 240 (fairly easy, or you can unthread the stud from the oil cooler and thread it into the block on the 740.

Use this chance to reseal the engine, because itll never be this easy.

You can use the 7 series intercooler and piping in the 240 and it fits for the most part. A little massaging here and there and itll be good to go.

Get a set of Orange 850T injectors. They are high impedance, drop in to the stock rail and will not require resistors to be wired in like the 7 series have.

Last edited:
Take the b230FT

Swap in a distributor from an 83-93 240 and use the accompanying intermediate shaft. This gives you a chance to replace all of the front seals and timing belt for that leak free goodness.

Find the ECU's from a 90-95 7/9 Turbo. The newer the better. Some have EGR. Some dont. This can be dealt with in a bunch of different ways.

Use the harness, sensors and MAF from the 240.

Use the flexplate and the crank position sensor from the 240 on the 740 block.

Have a downpipe made that clears the stock oil cooler and fits in the 240 (fairly easy, or you can unthread the stud from the oil cooler and thread it into the block on the 740.

Use this chance to reseal the engine, because itll never be this easy.

You can use the 7 series intercooler and piping in the 240 and it fits for the most part. A little massaging here and there and itll be good to go.

Get a set of Orange 850T injectors. They are high impedance, drop in to the stock rail and will not require resistors to be wired in like the 7 series have.

I'm getting some great information from you all and i appreciate it. to swap the AW71 into my 240, is the form factor the same, just different/stronger internals to handle the additional turbo power?

I'm getting some great information from you all and i appreciate it. to swap the AW71 into my 240, is the form factor the same, just different/stronger internals to handle the additional turbo power?

Its the same case, just more clutches IIRC. Everything swaps over and you visually cant tell the difference.

M47 is usually fine for up to 10 psi. It does make the car more fun to drive but would suck if it broke and you had to source another one.

Yup, I?ve had an m47 behind a +t for like 4 years i think. It?s totally fine just be nice to 3rd gear.

I've read that third gear gets shredded on these. Is there a fix for it other than a lighter foot? I think I'd be alright though, the B230FT I plan on swapping won't be anything crazy, just the pretty vanilla upgrades. It'll still be my DD.

I've read that third gear gets shredded on these. Is there a fix for it other than a lighter foot? I think I'd be alright though, the B230FT I plan on swapping won't be anything crazy, just the pretty vanilla upgrades. It'll still be my DD.

Use a stock clutch. The clutch will usually slip before the transmission breaks.

The aux shaft probably doesn't have teeth to spin the dist. You will likely have to swap the shaft.

The aux shaft probably doesn't have teeth to spin the dist. You will likely have to swap the shaft.

Instead of messing with sourcing a distributor and potentially the AUX shaft, would it be more beneficial to just go wasted spark with a coil pack instead? It's supposed to run more efficiently anyways.

You can use the auxiliary shaft and distributor from your 240 engine. Wasted spark is ideal but your adding to the expense/time of project. You can always do wasted spark later on.

You can use the auxiliary shaft and distributor from your 240 engine. Wasted spark is ideal but your adding to the expense/time of project. You can always do wasted spark later on.

I see your point. Right now I am collecting parts for this project and am able to pick up the needed equipment for wasted spark when I find them. My thought process is to do it right one time and in doing so, keep the bay clean without removing the block mounted dizzy plug and having a distributor floating there. The B230FT is in another car currently which I can work on while still DD'ing my N/A 240 so I think I'd be okay to do this.

Throttle switch wiring is also different between NA & T - one has full load enrichment, the other doesn't. Can't recall offhand which is which, so you may have to either add or remove a wire from the TPS to ECU...

Throttle switch wiring is also different between NA & T - one has full load enrichment, the other doesn't. Can't recall offhand which is which, so you may have to either add or remove a wire from the TPS to ECU...

Nah you don?t have to do that. Leave the TPS wiring as it is and it works fine.

Ass long as our ECU is 9xx it does not matter expert hater.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/0cbr--8QJio" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Also I ran 12.61 with M46 and stock clutch. So hate me hardest mid way boy. I've stripped more turd gears then rears but broke 5 axles at the spline.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/lE6CSGkQd7w" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

^ yup. I’ve turbo’d roughly 3 2.4 240s and have never ever snipped a WOT wire and have had 0 issues. Also done a 2.2 & Chrysler ignition car without snipping that wire. Still no issues.

No reason for anyone to ever run a 5xx ecu on a +t. 9xx are easily available and cheap.

Back