• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

HUB's 1968 122s Wagon Project

HUB

Needs more cowbell
Hello Everyone,

Picked up 122s in early November of 2014 after stumbling across Keith602 project. I immediately fell in love with the 122/ Amazon. It's the complete opposite of what I have done and very excited as to what the future will bring with this build. My step father has been extremely helpful with this car (has restored and own Volvo's most of his life). Still learning a lot of things about this car and wouldn't be possible without everyone's support. Thank you!

Current Shot of Car:
WL9v9zEl.jpg

Start of Build Thread:
5f0Eddu.jpg

wqGoOdg.jpg

Didn't even have the car more than 24 hours and we already started tinkering with it. :lol:

Thanks,

Last edited:
Dizzy and Alternator

This has been the fun the last few days.
u4KudEkl.jpg

The coil will be put in the where the original OEM was. Just have it moved off to the side while I worked on other things and make a plate. Also put in new wires, plugs, and cap.
Zs38umXl.jpg

In the process of converting the car over to an alternator. Still researching the wiring layout...
c4FyZ5Wl.jpg

yMxeOJwl.jpg

Last edited:
The short bus visited the local watering hole (aka cigar affair).

LL3FKzR.jpg

Took the car to grab our first Christmas tree. The family loves it. Pic of my stepfather loading all puppies in the car.

Z1pgbn6l.jpg

Thanks,

Last edited:
Got the new coil bracket in. Looks a lot better now. Then started working on the interior lights. The switches just needed cleaning.

Thanks,

Last edited:
Working on the Interior

Worked in the driver seat and a few other interior items.

gzaDV17l.jpg

1PvrRdsl.jpg

ZSQtky4l.jpg

z4ekauql.jpg

l2SCjiyl.jpg

Last edited:
New Headlights

Installed the new headlights that I got for Christmas. Converted over to halogen.

RmjZSA6l.jpg

First one out and getting it cleaned.
pMpEXIBl.jpg

Finished product. Will do a few night shots tonight. They're a little bit more flat.
u5YI8Jal.jpg

Thanks,

Last edited:
Removal of SU's/ Weber Downdraft conversion

And the fun begins...

BhqLwizl.jpg

ycN4O3Dl.jpg

Thanks,

Last edited:
Weber Downdraft conversion

Well I started the process of getting everything bolted with the help of my step father. The process was a lot of fun.

Well we had two helpers that joined us, but they didn't offer a lot of help. Haha.
GZ8PCTNl.jpg

Replaced the motor mounts and switched over to a electric fan...
T2Du1ael.jpg

vxCNTyJl.jpg

Bolted up the header and the tried to put on the manifold for the new carb. Ran into a little problem. Manifold wouldn't bolt up due to flanges on the bottom hitting the flanges on the header. I wasn't happy considering this should "bolt right up." O well... Nothing the grinder couldn't fix...

xGWK9bll.jpg

VAnZkx8l.jpg

f43xvjFl.jpg

After that, it was pretty straight forward with getting everything bolted up. Ran temporary lines just to see if it would start and would clean it up later... At least, that is what we thought the plan would be...
J3e7Qqtl.jpg

Car started and was trying to do the timing and get everything dialed in, but the car wasn't running right. It felt like a cylinder wasn't firing.

mDpLr0ml.jpg

I wasn't able to do a compression test, so we pulled all the plugs and did it by "feel." We couldn't feel anything from cylinder 4. So we knew the head had to come off.

Thanks,

Last edited:
No compression in cylinder 4- Removal of head

Took the head off today. Looks like cylinder 4 was my problem child.

wUfs1SEl.jpg

kBmC74zl.jpg

k5aWyYIl.jpg

VLdJ7qal.jpg

Thanks,

Last edited:
Removal of Front Suspension and B18 Engine

Update: The head was cleared as good for no cracks. So I guess that is good. However, the entire valve train is ****. So will start ordering parts next week.

I felt frisky today, so I got a cigar, made some coffee, and went to town.

U5Rxrmil.jpg

Yu5Ydujl.jpg

lzTlrtdl.jpg

Bqh5U7Pl.jpg

Also stumbled across a new heater valve. So i picked that up and will rip the entire heater box out... Still trying to figure how this bloody thing comes apart... May need some Scotch :wink:

Thanks,

Last edited:
M41 separated from B18 motor

Took more apart today and just making a list of everything I need. I ordered all new seals and it looks like that was the right call to make.
KXQGUX9l.jpg

BBViHhWl.jpg

2fLdT5El.jpg

y4yYn4ml.jpg

VTSPyOel.jpg

Order two new guns to handle the paint work for the bay and parts. Can't wait to give it a shot for my first time.
xLrrO2yl.jpg

Thanks,

Last edited:
Cleaning of Front Suspension

Got the front clip torn apart the other day and now begins the fun part of getting everything cleaned and ready for paint.
SKHE6P0l.jpg

X3TqZlGl.jpg

Just used the hose, wire brush, and degreaser to get most of this off. Going to try something new today.

Thanks,

Last edited:
Back