• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

I bought the worlds slowest 240

Cwazywazy

Single jingle
And I love it. '82 244GL with a D24 and BW55.

ncgUg8qh.jpg

tmyk68kh.jpg

Nice! I've got the twin to that one, same color and everything with a bw55. Very slow but definitely a fun car. Actually looking to sell it as I just picked up a 760 turbo diesel. Looks like you got a very clean oneand if you need help with the timing belt I have all of the tools to replace it.

Looks nice! I'd imagine you have to floor it most of the time :lol:

I hit probably 90 (85mph speedo) downhill on the highway but the temp gauge started moving up. I'll check the coolant. I did a 0-60 and got about 18-19 seconds.

Also it's significantly easier to turn left than right. Dunno what's up with that. Drives pretty damn good otherwise. I took a brief look through the service history and it had a headgasket and belts done at some point.

What do these get for MPG?

Guy said around 25. The 3 speed probably cancels out any benefits of the diesel, lol..

Was driving at night and the high beam relay failed on. Quick fix, just swapped it out with one from the parts car. Sorry, everyone who passed me on the way home..

I remember Car&Driver tested a mid-late sixties Mercedes diesel sedan back in the day. A '68 220D I think - their smaller 4 door sedan with a 2.2L 4 cylinder non-turbo diesel. They claimed it was the slowest vehicle they'd ever tested. They said they couldn't use the word "accelerate" - rather, it 'gathered speed.'

Mine also turns left much easier than it does right. Very strange that both 240's I've ever heard of doing this are diesels. If I drive the car with the power steering belt disconnected it turns perfect both ways, just harder than normal due to no assist. I figure it's got to be a problem with the rack, maybe the spool isn't centering properly?

IIRC the 0-60 time was rated at something like 22.5 seconds. Best get out and push! These things sorely needed a turbo, and should really have never been offered with a slushbox.

IIRC the 0-60 time was rated at something like 22.5 seconds. Best get out and push! These things sorely needed a turbo, and should really have never been offered with a slushbox.

I got about 19 seconds when I tested it.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/WT39cr9Y1Mo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

It drives so nicely that I don't even care. Also if I feel like going fast(ish) I can just get into my other 240.

What do these get for MPG?

I get about 30-38, but M46 and I drive slowly (not that there's really a choice...just more or less noise/smoke really).

The 3-speed auto is remarkably slow (only choice in 2 series), but in turbo form the ZF 4-speed auto box works nicely with the diesel. No boost loss on shifts, keeps it in the power band.

Could be worse, could be an '79-'80 Euro diesel taxi with a 3-speed auto and a D20 (only 5 holes and N/A)? Or a Vanagon...1.6L rabbit diesel on its side...

The steering rack is probably an early cam and needs to have the assist left-right balance adjustment done (easy enough) if not leaking and viable otherwise. No fun when they get like that.

If it heats up under load, it can be a cooling system malady or seeping HG. Much less expensive to repair that sooner rather than later...or not at all if you got the car inexpensively enough and don't break down somewhere crucial :lol:

I have the 700 M46 diesel bits, but IIRC the bell housing is clocked differently as the engine stands up straighter in 700s. I think only the flywheel/clutch fork and bushing for the M46 input shaft are the same. Everything else is different. I don't think there's an easy way to use the larger 700 clutched cooling fan with the auto trans cooler in the radiator, though maybe the shroud is large enough to accept it. Most original diesel radiators are pretty woefully slugdged up by now.

A 3-row, shorter hoses, tropical fan clutch and MLS HG and studs are nice upgrades for those. Diesel engine with a disaster of a T-belt setup and 4 cam bearings , weird life-threatening cold start device on the injection pump, and crank pulley that has to be tightened by hand to an outlandish torque value.
I passionately hated them trying to make book time on them. Take forever to repair, everything strangely in the way for how spacious the engine bay is, leak like a sieve, 1/8" cracks allowable per the book in the head between valve seats, wind up tired and stinking of diesel. . Mostly blotted those memories out.

Engine absolutely must be warmed up properly, oil pickup needs to be in good order, thin synthetic oil for cold running, good injector spray pattern and the cooling system has to be in good shape. It can't lose hardly any coolant under load or have anything marginal or else it usually ruins the head.

I really liked my euro audi 4000 with a 5-cylinder turbo diesel of that engine...had that at the same time as the peugeot turbo diesel.

Last edited:
Back