• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Shopping list for F+T?

Magnanimous

So I've been itching to try to do a F+T build for quite some time. Unfortunately, redblock volvos seem to be rather uncommon down here in south Florida, it's rare to find any on classifieds or in a junkyard. So I'd like to try to get together a complete list of everything that I'd potentially need to pull on the chance that I find something in a junkyard or being parted out.

I'm not looking to make big power with this, especially with the skinny rods, just a fairly nice streetable car in the 180-200hp whp range with low cost being a priority. I've been doing my best to read up on the subject, but the board's search feature is... lacking, and most threads that I've been able to find are a 5+ years old and full of dead links.

This is what I've been able to come up with so far for a list of the parts that I'll need.

1. Turbo (duh)
- Obviously a stock volvo turbo would be the easiest bet, but are there any other
common cars out there with a turbo that will bolt up to the volvo manifold?

2. Exhaust manifold
- I've heard that manifolds from later years flow better, when did this
update/changeover happen?

3. Edit:Turbo Downpipe

4. <strike>Airbox+associated piping</strike> Edit: Cold Air Intake instead of stock intake

5. Intercooler+brackets+piping

6. Oil feed/return lines

7. Edit: Oil Cooler

Now, according to this article, that should be all that I need for a basic 6-7psi boost build. Is that accurate? Will the stock computer be able to handle that much? But beyond that, I would need:

8. Computer
-My '87 uses LH2.2, if I find a 2.4 car, what other parts would need to be replaced
alongside the computer? Would I be able to use the OBD system?

9. Wiring harness
-My '87 is already showing some harness rot, so this would have needed to be done
eventually anyway

10. Injectors
-Apparently the 850 turbo injectors also will work?

11. Fuel Pump

12. Fuel Pressure regulator

Is that it? What else would I need to grab?

Last edited:
Not sure where you live, but I just came across this craigslist post about 45 minutes ago containing all the parts one would need to build a turbo setup on their n/a 240 or 740. I'm about 8 hours from there

00h0h_fB9GAi55LW_1200x900.jpg

"Complete turbo set up off of a 740 turbo with 129k. Zero shaft play on the turbo. Includes: turbo, manifold, oil lines, intercooler, ecu, intake box, injectors, custom fan shroud for 240DL application. Basically everything you'd need to make +T volvo 240 except injector seals and a washer or gasket two. Was going to boost my car but ended up selling it."

https://charlottesville.craigslist.org/pts/d/complete-volvo-740-turbo-set/6663792987.html

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

1. Turbo (duh)
- Obviously a stock volvo turbo would be the easiest bet, but are there any other
common cars out there with a turbo that will bolt up to the volvo manifold?

15G's or 16Ts are options

2. Exhaust manifold
- I've heard that manifolds from later years flow better, when did this
update/changeover happen?

90+ manifolds seem to be the preferred manifold

3. Airbox+associated piping

Might as well just delete the airbox and get a cold air intake. my opinion

4. Intercooler+brackets+piping

Stock intercooler would be your go to if you're looking for budgeted 180-200hp, unless you want to buy something like an NPR intercooler. I run the stock intercooler on my 740 turbo at 10 - 11 psi. It handles fine

5. Oil feed/return lines

Now, according to this article, that should be all that I need for a basic 6-7psi boost build. Is that accurate? Will the stock computer be able to handle that much?

Yes, your stock computer would be able to handle that.

But beyond that, I would need:

6. Computer
-My '87 uses LH2.2, if I find a 2.4 car, what other parts would need to be replaced
alongside the computer? Would I be able to use the OBD system?

sbabbs sells chipped lh2.2 ECU's

7. Wiring harness
-My '87 is already showing some harness rot, so this would have needed to be done
eventually anyway

Replace the harness. Its an inexpensive replacement

8. Injectors
-Apparently the 850 turbo injectors also will work?

Yes they will work

9. Fuel Pump

10. Fuel Pressure regulator

Is that it? What else would I need to grab?

You'll need an AFR and if you want to turn the boost up, a manual boost controller

Last edited:
1. Get a 15g or 16t from a fwd Volvo

2. 1990 and newer 740/940 exhaust manifold

3. Air box doesn't fit right but can work.

4. Yes, 1991 and earlier for easy fit top inlet/outlet stuff

5. I would spend the coin and get stainless flexible lines from kinugawa. Drain line will likely need custom unless you drill it in the factory oil boss.

6. Not too familiar with lh2.2 but I know it's not the easiest swap in a 7/9 series because the harnesses are integrated with the chassis harness.

7. See above

8. Not sure how lh2.2 handles bigger injectors. Fwd turbo injectors will physically bolt in, but will need to remove the ballast resistor if it's like lh2.4.

9. Wouldn't bother, or upgrade to something aftermarket

10. Grab 3 bar fpr from turbo car.

11. Downpipe from 7/9 turbo

12. Clutch. Assuming you have the m46 in your signature, n/a clutch won't live long.

Sadly, Charlottesville is about a 23h drive away from me, so that would be no dice. Otherwise that seems like an amazing deal.

As for turbo selection, how do the 15g/16t compare to the stock unit in terms of performance? Generally I'd prefer something that spools quickly for throttle response.

The 15G/16T give you more headroom for increased power, but can also more quickly get you into trouble if the rest of your system is not sorted/working properly. You also have to make a solid bracket for the wastegate actuator which can be a bit fiddly to get right. I'd recommend taking a progressive approach by starting with a 13C (stock unit) and getting everything working, then turning up the boost with a MBC, then upgrading to a larger turbo if you are not satisfied. With the correct TD04HL conical exhaust housing, a 15G/16T will bolt up to a stock downpipe for a 13C.

Re: ECU
Get a 541 LH2.2 Turbo ECU to replace the n/a ECU
What ignition system does your car currently have?

Last edited:
It's got bosch ignition. The stock turbo would probably be more than adequate for what I need, like I said in the OP, my engine has the skinny rods, so I'm not overly inclined to go with big boost numbers.

Does it have EZK? (I'm not super familiar with what came on the 7xx cars)

Reason being, if it does have EZK you need to swap out the ignition computer for the turbo version.

Do you recall if there is a hall sensor inside the distributor? Or do you recall there being plastic plug w/ electrical connector on the side of the distributor? If so, you have EZ-117K (aka EZK 117). This means you just need to swap to a turbo EZK unit.

Excerpt from TP31397 Greenbook:
ewSytThl.png

BdHDVSCl.png

czNXZNil.png

8tKLwYZl.png

Added turbo downpipe to my original list

Do you recall if there is a hall sensor inside the distributor? Or do you recall there being plastic plug w/ electrical connector on the side of the distributor? If so, you have EZ-117K (aka EZK 117). This means you just need to swap to a turbo EZK unit.

Kind of hard to see, but is this the plug that you're referring to in the center of the pic?

https://i.imgur.com/ZM0Jvc1.jpg

Based on the greenbook descriptions, sounds like I would have 117k, but I want to make sure.

Also, after doing a bit more research, turns out that the swap between LH 2.2 and LH 2.4 involves a lot more than just swapping out the ECU and harness. Apparently I'd also need a new flywheel and bellhousing as well, which is a bit more than I really want to get into.

If I were to pull parts from an LH 2.4 car, are there any parts that would be explicitly not compatible between the systems?

I actually did find a 1990 turbo/intercooler 740 sedan in a nearby parts yard, was thinking about trying to stop by and start pulling parts this weekend (assuming it hasn't already been stripped.) But it sounds like it's a 2.4 car.

Why do you want to switch from LH2.2 to LH2.4?

From an engine management perspective in your current 2.2 setup, you just need to change the fuel computer under the dash from the n/a computer to a turbo computer (541).

If you already have 117K ignition (it seems like you do), then you also just need to change from the n/a computer to the turbo computer (012). The part number on the ignition computer will verify the ignition system you have.

Re: injectors...yes, 850T injectors are plug-and-play in an originally n/a car..."orange top" p/n 0 280 150 785. There are a variety of other OE injectors to choose from, but those work well.

Edit:
541 ECU
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1-367-487-...534892?hash=item4639267eec:g:CXMAAOSwEMpbaIzX

Last edited:
I don't want to change to 2.4, but I found a car in a junkyard that is 2.4, just want to know whether any of the parts will be incompatible

Ah sorry, I misunderstood.

The MAF sensor is different.

The non-electrical parts (FPR, downpipe, manifold, oil cooler, coolant bottle, etc) will swap right over to your setup.

Last edited:
Thanks

Also, are there differences in the cams of stock turbo and non-turbo cars? Would it be worthwhile to grab the cam as well?

Ah sorry, I misunderstood.

The MAF sensor is different.

The non-electrical parts (FPR, downpipe, manifold, oil cooler, coolant bottle, etc) will swap right over to your setup.

Didn't see the oil cooler mentioned earlier, do the NA cars not have oil coolers?

If not, is there a difference in the oil cooler setup between 240's and 740's?

Back