• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Overload springs

I've run the IPD overloads in the back, and it made the 245 finally sit close to level. It still rode decent, and didn't sag under load as badly as it did before.

Message me some time David and we can talk about easy solutions to fit your needs, but if Jason's old rear springs are overloads I'd throw those in and see what it does for you.

I'm looking for increased roll resistance and stock or slightly lower than stock ride height. I installed iPd 25/25 bars today but the roll is still insane. Do you think these springs with 1 coil or so cut off would stiffen this up? And how do you think they would pair with some bilstien HD's?

If a 25mm bar didn't do it for you I'm not sure these springs will. They will help though, how much, I have no idea. I never was satisfied with HD rears with stock springs and I never ran HDs with these overload springs. My idea of "performance" though, it being able to do 45 mph on snowy, frost-heaved dirt road with the car staying predictable and composed. :) (i.e. my daily commute)

I've got stock wagon rear springs and HDs on my 242, along with IPD 25/25 bars. The back end is a bit stiff for my liking and rolls off speedbumps like jumping off a stool with your knees locked. Has a tendency for oversteer but it's just right when towing a trailer. I think if I were going to start over I'd try the stock springs with HDs and might consider one size smaller on the rear bar. 25mm in the front feels like a good setup though, corners nice and flat without being too harsh.

...As to FCP, they are no longer showing overloads that I can find. They have a spring they say was specifically designed for 240/260 and is HD for sedans and coupes, standard for wagon (chuckle). But then they have a 14mm diameter spring just for wagons. ProParts. This is interesting considering the tall overloads in my son's wagon are only 13.5. Anybody have a wire diameter on stock, wagon rear springs?

FCP had these on sale early this year and I bought a set and they are 14mm.
https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/volvo-coil-spring-13mm-rear-240-wagon-aftermarket-43615816
In the ad they list the OE part #. Maybe you can look that up to find someone else selling them. What I like about the springs is that all the coils are evenly spaced. None are close to touching. I've seen some where near the top or bottom the coils touch or are damned close. I don't know for a fact that it's a bad thing but I always avoid that.

I'm looking for increased roll resistance and stock or slightly lower than stock ride height. I installed iPd 25/25 bars today but the roll is still insane. Do you think these springs with 1 coil or so cut off would stiffen this up? And how do you think they would pair with some bilstien HD's?

I'd like to retract this statement, the 25/25s are great. I just needed to get it on some real roads before deciding.

FCP had these on sale early this year and I bought a set and they are 14mm.
https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/volvo-coil-spring-13mm-rear-240-wagon-aftermarket-43615816
In the ad they list the OE part #. Maybe you can look that up to find someone else selling them. What I like about the springs is that all the coils are evenly spaced. None are close to touching. I've seen some where near the top or bottom the coils touch or are damned close. I don't know for a fact that it's a bad thing but I always avoid that.

The even coil springs are linear and the ones that have some coils close and others further apart are progressive. The operation of them is like their type. Not bad either way if they are providing the desired effect.

I have the 25/25mm sways, GT braces and springs, volvo strut mounts, billy HDs all around, ipd overloads in the back, volvo rubber everywhere, other than polly for the sway bar, torque rods, and panhard bar...a pretty standard setup. I also have the strut tower spacers that mount underneath the towers (way better than those that go over them). I put 16x7 s80 wheels on 215/55s with 25mm spacers.

The overloads went on first, and the change in rake was significant ... once everything else was done however, the car was restored to its original, flat, truck-like ride height that the stock springs gave it. Without the strut tower spacers and GT springs, the back end might be a 1/4 - 1/2" higher. My takeaway from this experience is that the bushings will give you the most significant changes in ride height. Overload springs will only make a noteable difference if the bushings are shot, and everything else is stock.

FYI I had the moogs for 4 years up until I bought ipd's overloads last month ... I found no difference at all -- they look the same, same number of coils and thickness, and there is no change in performance at all. Ride height was also the same.

In terms of roll resistance, stiffer springs, thicker sway bars, and upgraded wheels/tires are going to make the biggest difference, short of lowering the car. I agree that the 25mm sways are pretty much the best you can do, unless you go with the W123 coils in the back, and diesels springs upfront. You could also try the control arm braces up front that ipd offers. I have heard those make a big difference.

Even with my setup, which some will argue is too harsh/stiff, the car rides more like a jeep, rather than a lifted Lincoln Towncar. It hasn't changed to the point where it feels like a totally different car. It's a much tighter, more precise version of the same sloppy idea, which I will argue is what gives it all of its charm. A 240 is really a light truck in many ways.

Back