• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Wagon 15" Virgo Tire size opinions

Kenunot

takes meds now
Sorry if this subject has been beaten to death already.

From the owners manual, it looks like an 87 245 should have came on 185 / 75 / r14's that are 24.9" tall.

I have a set of Virgos that need tires. The closest 15" tires in height would be 195 / 65 / r15 @25" and 205 / 60 / r15 @24.7".

I have heard 205 / 55 / r15 may be a better size for performance, but it's a full inch shorter.

I want to balance load carrying and better grip. The suspension won't be built beyond (full height) GT front springs and possibly overloads in the rear with Bilstein HD's and IPD bars when it's all done.

Is it worth correcting the speedometer and running a shorter sidewall "modern" tire size or are the tall tires good enough? Looking for opinions, what other people run.

195/65R15 is fine. Get it in an Extra Load rating and it increases your tire load capacity over a Standard Load by almost 200lbs. It also correlates to lower rolling resistance for better MPG. The minimum load rating you'd want for a tire is 88. An 88 load rated passenger tire is what is safe for carrying a car load of people and luggage. Sorry the tire guy in me is coming out. :roll:

195 60 15 or 205 55 15

The first size is original equipment on GLT and Turbo cars equipped with Virgos, probably the right way to go. The second is very close in to that in height also. Would have to correct speedo though.

195-65-15

Almost identical to a 195/75r14 but for a 15" wheel. Probably best for load / towing.

195/65R15 is fine. Get it in an Extra Load rating and it increases your tire load capacity over a Standard Load by almost 200lbs. It also correlates to lower rolling resistance for better MPG. The minimum load rating you'd want for a tire is 88. An 88 load rated passenger tire is what is safe for carrying a car load of people and luggage. Sorry the tire guy in me is coming out. :roll:

I didn't know any of that.

Using tire rack as a guide, 195 60 and 205 60 come in mostly the same varieties of touring tires. You have to go to 205 55 to get high performance summer tires. Not a lot of extra load tires about.

I think that's what I want to do since I never have to deal with freezing weather and then put 185/75 14 snow tires on the steelies for northbound road trips during winter months.

Have you considered Nokian? I run Nokians on both my bricks. Love them. They make a badass hi-po all season called the Z-Line AS. Should take a peek

Darn, that's right. Sorry to tease you with the carrot on the string. I am running the old model eNtyre on my brick as a 185/65R14XL. Little less sidewall without sacrificing load or safety. My Wife's brick has the eNtyre 2.0. She loves them; super quiet, sure grip in wet weather, handles great in dry and can take light and packed snow like a champ.

I love the Continental Truecontact 195/65/15's on one of our '93's.
Nice ride and they are pretty sticky for an all-season tire. I'm getting ready to buy a couple of additional sets of them.

I love the Continental Truecontact 195/65/15's on one of our '93's.
Nice ride and they are pretty sticky for an all-season tire. I'm getting ready to buy a couple of additional sets of them.

Continental truecontacts were the top rated tire in a couple sizes I was looking at.

Back