• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Typical '97 945 Turbo

MrKrabs

Back story to this car:
Bought in Italy during Spring '17, brought it back home and registered it in France.
It's a 1997 (like me!), B200ft, M90 940. In italian 'Polar' trim. 155k km's when I got it, now at 180k.
I got this car because I wanted a quick RWD, turbocharged and manual station wagon primarily for my roadtrips all across Europe, to compete in the downhill skateboarding World Cups that happen every summer here.

My plan for this car is to keep it looking somewhat discrete to the untrained eye (read: cops) whilst improving on every aspect of it like power, handling, braking and somewhat reliability/driveability.
DISCLAIMER : I have no idea what I'm doing. Every thing I've done to this car is completly a first for me!

So far, it has:
-3 inch exhaust with race cat
-MBC and fuel chip
-Wasted spark conversion
-AEM wideband and boost gauge
-Catch can
-IPD swaybars and poly bushings
-Mildly chopped springs & Gaz adjustable dampers
-Kaplhenke quick steer corrector
-Slotted rotors with EBC Yellow pass, DOT 5.1 fluid

B1lYAmB.jpg

This is how it sits at the moment

bk0rSVb.jpg

Packed up on 17 inch Citro?n steelies!

HqonYa3.jpg

Lost in Prague this summer with the bois

After blowing up my 13c hairdryer I got a 15g... And things started escalating since that, as it always does!

WC4YjIc.jpg

Decided to pull the engine out as there was a few leaks and need a new clutch + flywheel for my M90.

T5IjKxn.jpg

Found a 531 head with the VX3 cam in it that is going in there as well.

Je3hKYW.jpg

Installed shiny AN lines for my catch can install and turbo's oil feed + drain lines.

...and that's it for now. I'm waiting on the last batch of parts to finish everything!
Future plans include:
-Fitting my TruTrac diff (already have it, no clue how to install haha)
-Upgraded fuel system to handle the 15g at ~17 psi? (Ideas welcome)
-Suspension back to stock height with HD springs in the rear and "Rally" coilovers in front, to fit 205/70 15 All Terrain's (mainly to do better skids at skate event's grass campgrounds and reach remote-ish places to set the tent)

Any advice more then welcome here!
I can now confidently say I've caught the turbobrick bug :-(

Hey!

#1: Jete le vx dans la poubelle et achete un Enem V15, tout suite...?a vaut pas la peine

Hey!

#1: Jete le vx dans la poubelle et achete un Enem V15, tout suite...?a vaut pas la peine

Ah un francophone! Je r?ponderai en anglais pour pas que les autres se perdent..
An Enem V15 = the IPD turbo cam right? And I'll keep the VX3 I think, as I'd rather spend the money on better injectors/012 MAF for now. Btw do you know if a 15g can "max out" the stock MAF? aka do I simply need bigger injectors to not lean out with it @ around 18 psi?

honestly don't waste your time on a 15g. There are other turbos (even ebay ones) that are much better.

Tr?s jolie ta wagon! Mais comme okoye a dit, ?a ne vaut pas la peine de perdre son temps avec un 15g. Essaye de te faire un hybride t03t04 tu seras beaucoup plus heureux dans la vie. Pour ton MAF il te faut celui d'une 960 lign?e 6.

Sinon tu as un pot pas tr?s loin de toi qui fait des combines tr?s sympa, Pumpish qui est en su?de, www.turbobandit.com

volvokit-500x500.jpg

http://turbobandit.com/TURBO-Engine-tuning/turbokit/startkitvolvo

1498E pour un kit de cette qualit?, c'est donn?.

H?te de suivre ton progr?s!

Nice project, our projects look very alike

If you're earlier than me with the LSD, let me know how it works out.
I've got a spare axle ready to drop in a LSD but still not sure which I want to drop in...

Also, did you make that catch can setup yourself? I just need a block adapter, I can figure out the rest I guess

Tr?s jolie ta wagon! Mais comme okoye a dit, ?a ne vaut pas la peine de perdre son temps avec un 15g. Essaye de te faire un hybride t03t04 tu seras beaucoup plus heureux dans la vie. Pour ton MAF il te faut celui d'une 960 lign?e 6.

Sinon tu as un pot pas tr?s loin de toi qui fait des combines tr?s sympa, Pumpish qui est en su?de, www.turbobandit.com

1498E pour un kit de cette qualit?, c'est donn?.

H?te de suivre ton progr?s!

Merci bien!
I know nobody here is going to want to let me run the 15g haha, but I got a really good deal on it, and it'll just bolt right in now that I've clocked it. I'm sure in the future I'll end up throwing a 19t CHRA in there for a bit more fun, but for now I'll use this little guy.

Nice project, our projects look very alike

If you're earlier than me with the LSD, let me know how it works out.
I've got a spare axle ready to drop in a LSD but still not sure which I want to drop in...

Also, did you make that catch can setup yourself? I just need a block adapter, I can figure out the rest I guess

Yeah it's sitting on my work bench but as I mentionned I have no idea how to fit it in my axle. Surely there's a guide or something somewhere...?

And my catch can is simply a baffled Mishimoto one, with two entre ports, one exit, and a drain at the bottom. I've set it up basically as the Yoshifab redblock catch can kit, the only difference is I'm not using their catch can but my Mishimoto one.
You should check out Yoshifab's website for a block adapter if you still need one!

I disassembled a 940 axle yesterday and it's easier than you think. Afaik the only thing you need to pay attention to is transferring the tone ring for the ABS/speed sensor and adjusting the backlash+ adjusting the pinion gear preload. Still need to read up in that stuff as well but it seems definitely doable.

And yeah I know of Yoshifabs products it's just not cheap, I saw someone customize an oil trap box into a block adapter so that's the cheaper option for me

Marek, well one, my french is terrible and I'm not going to use a translator to hide that fact. So my apologies for not continuing. :-P

Two - Have you ever seen one of those fitted into a 240 bay? Or even a 7/9 I guess. I'd thought about purchasing one of those to play with a while back but I believe he/they built them to originally work in the Mercedes bay and never responded to my inquiries so I passed it by.

Marek, well one, my french is terrible and I'm not going to use a translator to hide that fact. So my apologies for not continuing. :-P

Two - Have you ever seen one of those fitted into a 240 bay? Or even a 7/9 I guess. I'd thought about purchasing one of those to play with a while back but I believe he/they built them to originally work in the Mercedes bay and never responded to my inquiries so I passed it by.

You must contact Pumpish directly through his Youtube channel or call him, he speaks english.

But no, i have honestly never seen any setup for volvo installed on a volvo, just got mercedes bits from him (w124), his stuff is really top notch.

I vaguely remember some people ranting about their B230 manifolds being poorly made and not fitting so great either, but that was years ago, before Turbobandit were such a thing...

I'd buy it just because Roman drives ekonomikli!

Engine fully reassembled, waiting on my Classic Swede order to arrive with the new flywheel and 850R clutch before tossing the engine back in.
On a side note, anyone knows if I need an 012 MAF to run a 15g at say 18psi? Or will bigger injectors do the job just fine? :???:

TGKqFCB.jpg

6aKxio4.jpg

La bande termique sur la fonte, c'est pas forcement le bon choix, surtout que les collecteurs d'echappement sont connus pour fissurer
Bon courage

Exact tu ajoute un stress inutile au collecteur, id?alement la bande thermique devrait-?tre appliqu? ? l'?chappement directement ? partir de l'arri?re de la turbine.

Tu peux par contre mettre une couverture de turbine qui aiderait ? garder une temp?rature plus stable sous le capot.

I would have loved a car like this when I was younger skateboarding. Also, I haven't worked out the French part of my brain in a long time. 6 years in school didn't leave me with much ten years later, but I can read most of that at least. Wagon looks nice.

Sure, forgot to install thermal band on your exhaust manifold, it'll crack almost instantaneously...at least it happens to mine...

Oh I didn't know cast manifolds didn't like thermal wrap. I'll be taking it off then! My downpipe is already wrapped. Thanks all you guys for the heads up.

Meanwhile, fitted the TTV billet flywheel and 850R clutch. Flywheel has to be half the weight of old double mass one!
eg7XdEH.jpg

And then chucked the engine back in.
jxXVESo.jpg

(You can see my homemade grill replacing the old chrome one)

Sadly though, the car doesn't start.. It has no spark. I suspect I've damaged my EZK board when re-wiring the wasted spark board to it. Can I somehow test my EZK box with a multimeter? Is it possible for LH2.4 to not make a spark at all if the flywheel/timing is off?

Otherwise, checked all connections thorougly, as well as grounds that I'm aware of. Spark plugs, spark plug wires and coil pack are all new. Using a second hand Miata powerunit, but unlikely it just stopped working with the engine out of the car.
Suggestions more then welcome! :-(

Last edited:
Back