• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

anti freeze plugs b230 engine 2018-23 bump

i call them core plugs, you lot call them all different names LOL! I was trying to fit in.

Yes they are correctly called core plugs in English.

Do you know what water pump you have fitted. If its a blade type it would be worth chaning for a cast one. Did you have a underdrive pulley on your parts list. I can't remember exactly what you had now

its a cash impeller, straight vein, i know that for a fact as its on my table next to me now! Its being driven backwards off the serpentine belt. Ive asked about and as long as its straight vein it can run either way.

My stat looks like this one

https://www.amazon.com/Volvo-Penta-Marine-Thermostat-3587597/dp/B007I904XE

its a b230 a i am now thinking is that the wrong one and that is why the motor shat the core plugs out.

I remember seeing the header jsut before it blew, it was filling up, pressurising i think now, i wonder if that is the wrong stat for the motor?

That's the wrong t'stat. It should look like this.

open-uri20140425-7346-1ewkdqa.

i wonder what that could do to the motor? I mean it shat it s core plugs, wonder if it just pressurised, or hadnt bled properly, and then thats why they blew out.

its going back to the rollers 3rd december, will find out if it s what im hoping for or not!

old bmw m44 motor was 180 bhp and 160 lbs, but it was all revs, it was 2000cc

im hoping the 8v will give lots more low down torque...

there is some discussion of cavitation at higher rpms causing localized high pressure areas. mine popped a freeze plug because we blew the headgasket at around 7500. There are however, several threads discussing freeze plugs coming out after a rebuild, so something along the way gets changed and they don't stick as well as they used to.

I would put retainers on it, you wouldn't want another one shaking out on the course.

He ain't kidding!! He's already threatening to have me banned if he was a mod, and I'm his brother!!

Mods, is there some rule against bans against family members? :):)
I looked and came up empty. Found a “divorced couple pet timeshare” ruling from 2001 in an old email thread.

Bumping this, for it's knowledge of the various freeze/expansion plugs on the redblock.
For the later type redblock, is there any reason not to use a universal brass 40mm plug?
like this...

In the early blocks it’s a shallow stepped hole that a cup plug will not go far enough in.
As Kenny mentioned, a blown gasket can overcome the ability of the cap to relieve pressure.
It’s also very easy to get it wrong on installation.
I had a machine shop source plugs for Rob Prince’s first block, and they were probably 1.5” instead of metric. Not quite tight enough.

In the early blocks it’s a shallow stepped hole that a cup plug will not go far enough in.
As Kenny mentioned, a blown gasket can overcome the ability of the cap to relieve pressure.
It’s also very easy to get it wrong on installation.
I had a machine shop source plugs for Rob Prince’s first block, and they were probably 1.5” instead of metric. Not quite tight enough.
Is that a way of saying, get the Genuine Volvo units?

That’s best, or a known good type that others have had good results with.
When installing i use old-school permatex #1 (fast dry, hard to find here) or #2 (slow dry, similar to “indian head”) to seal them.
To expand i use a large impact socket and bronze hammer. I have seen the old guys in heavy duty shops use just a flat hammer. I would not do it that way.

I'm having the machine shop do all the work, but want to be sure I give them the right parts.

Brass is oh so pretty and doesn't rust and corrode like factory steel ones. It's got to be reliable though.

Back