• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

242GT 1979 Group C Race Car

Thanks Ovlover

KG8 cam on the way (thanks DVS) and suspension upgrades will be fitted front and rear over the holidays.

New oil pump on the way from USA, Full engine seal and gasket kit bought, FIA homologation papers bought and research done on what we are allowed to do under the rules engine wise and decisions made. Engine builder has block and two heads for strip down over Christmas break with January and into early February build time. Has to be back in car ready to roll by Feb 20.

FYI I priced from Volvo Australia dealer a genuine Volvo Oil pump to suit a B23E $1260 and set of Volvo head bolts $540 and needless to say we passed on pulling the trigger to purchase.

Will post up some suspension shots when we drop the new bits in over the next week.

FYI I priced from Volvo Australia dealer a genuine Volvo Oil pump to suit a B23E $1260 and set of Volvo head bolts $540 and needless to say we passed on pulling the trigger to purchase.

:nod: It's because of this kind of obscenity that volvopartswebstore.com is my friend, and Australian <strike>stealers</strike> dealers are not.

Ash at DVS did me a great deal on OE head bolts. And I got three new Melling M181 oil pumps ex-USA for less than half of the price above.

Thanks Guys for the info and the offer. Don't worry will give you a hoy if needed. I have been very fortunate to have Roger P help me out in past as well for parts ex USA.

Yes I have a Mellings 181 on way from USA for just over $200 landed here with air freight included.

Ash from DVS is always very helpful and a great source of parts and will likely be supplying more early in the new year. To date he has supplied a heap of Suspension parts and KG8 cam. Very helpful at reasonable cost.

Dropped in some new suspension bits from DVS tonight. As we cant go coil overs on front under the rules we have to run standard spring size so we have gone the hardest we can get and have been supplied by DVS.

Thread cleaned and photos lost due to Photobuckets extortion attempt.

They did Show some DVS and Kaplhenke goodies

We were lucky today and we picked up a reconditioned Short block for a very keen price from a local engine builder who had it on the shelf for a little while and wanted to move it on as very few people bother these days.

Last edited:
photo%202_5.jpg
Make sure your car isn't sitting on the bump stops. Trim them down so you still have plenty of suspension travel.

As usual we are pressing deadlines again. We are due to take car out in 7 days for two days of shakedown before we drag it 2000kms to Philip Island in March and this is what the engine bay looks like. Way to much practice as Kris can get it stripped this far solo in just over 2 hours.

We don't get the engine back from the builder until Monday night and we will fit it in Tuesday night and hopefully we can dial the tune in nicely. Bottom end has had a refresh (60 thou overbore, new pistons, rings, bearings oil pump etc etc) and the head has been refreshed and worked over and we are running a new KG8 cam. We have lightened the flywheel and also fitted an adjustable timing cam. We also have a backup 405 head being done and setup ready to go with a H cam just in case.

Will post some pics up of the refreshed engine later in the week. This time next week we will know if our efforts have been rewarded with a workable combination which hopefully will also prove to be reliable. One things for certain we have plenty of spares and a heap more Volvo knowledge for the experience.

Last edited:
Also over Christmas for a very reasonable price we picked up this spare B23E engine and M46 gearbox from a fellow local Volvo Tragic that had saved it. We will keep it for spares. We have already pulled the 405 head in the hope that we could use it for a rebuild but it was corroded through into piston chamber in a few places so we have shelved it just in case it is ever needed (can be welded) and sourced another that was in better condition that did not need welding on water passages to receive the workover for the H cam option

Last edited:
Engine picked up tonight. Unloaded awaiting transfer of all running gear and fitting to car tomorrow night

TlfIFu2l.jpg

5pOdDwNl.jpg

uFrRbMkl.jpg

SWevUOrl.jpg

Last edited:
Looks really nice, clean and well painted to me ! Congratulations !

Bit like groundhog day. A late start and this is as far as we got tonight.

Ready to lift in tomorrow night

4Ewiqyul.jpg

DxjWUHLl.jpg

bctAWZ8l.jpg

Hopefully tomorrow night is fire up night if our day jobs play ball

Last edited:
Well good news is we have it all back together and engine runs. Oil pressure good as is temp and camshaft run in as a precaution. Distributer timing does not make sense at present so we have pulled pin on weekends outing and car is off to engine builder over the weekend and early next week for a fine tune including dyno tune and we will take it to a practice day next wednesday. Works out better as we will be able to cut as many laps as we like building up pace and can also try different suspension settings more easily.

Will post up some pics from next weeks outing and some video

Last edited:
Got a text message from mechanic first thing monday to give him a call. Was scared to call him back fearing the worst.

He was in process of dialling in the tune and engine just died and he could not start it. He threw on a replacement coil and still no go. He suspected the module had failed. Lucky we had left the trailer at his workshop and we had a spare in the belly pan. He fitted and was able to finish the tuning.

So we are all systems go for Wednesday shakedown.

Fingers crossed it all comes together as expected.

Back