• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

242 Fabricated door cards

Uncleknucklez

bruspeed
I threw these pictures up on IG, but I figured there were individuals who would be interested in seeing this that aren't on there. So....

I decided to design a file to rout out some 242 front door cards from aluminum earlier in the week. Volvo did us 240 guys a tremendous solid by making the doors essentially flat, with only a few minor bumps.

This is a pic of the original file I drew from a tracing of a spare door card I have

XRjTxwQl.jpg

Here is the card after routing

gLXadaOl.jpg

And installed

9moVvLal.jpg

6VyU9eGl.jpg

Plan is to add material at the top, that will get break formed into a "radius" and have a flat to attach the inside window scraper. This card can re-use all of the OEM door parts, and I will run a strip of felt tape on the high parts of the door so there should be minimal rattles.

Update:

I broke the top with multiple flat bends, seems like it will work fine.

VCcJIxWl.jpg

Vzr0BJZl.jpg

This area needs file work
tTIBYprl.jpg

This area seems "OK"
VfrVe3Ql.jpg

Because racecar I slapped some stripes on the prototype.
aFWVP7hl.jpg

sHucV4Ql.jpg

I will continue to adjust the file another time, and hopefully have a finished product by the middle of next week.

Are you going to produce a couple of these?

I plan to make my final set today, and if everything goes well, I can produce reproductions no problem, I realize this isn't the classified section, but for reference I am thinking $160 shipped for the set will put them within reach of the TB crowd, and still make sense for me to produce them.

That being said aluminum prices right now are rough :grrr:

Last edited:
I'd put some squares of butyl based sound deadening material (rec. RAAMmat). Might also be a good idea to use some strategically placed butyl rope strings squeezed down around your mounting perimeter. I can see that big piece of aluminum being a rattle and drum factory otherwise.

I'd put some squares of butyl based sound deadening material (rec. RAAMmat). Might also be a good idea to use some strategically placed butyl rope strings squeezed down around your mounting perimeter. I can see that big piece of aluminum being a rattle and drum factory otherwise.

My doors are covered in Noico sound deadening material.
I lined the high spots of the door frame with felt tape, and ordered some edge trim to combat that. However I am finding that these are quieter than the squeaking sounds the factory blown out door cards make as they rub the sill guard.

The real rattling right now is at the window where the scraper should be that I haven't installed yet.

Back