• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

240 Removal of shaft that drives dizzy/oil pump (B23)

Chrisco

WRC addict
Car had been sitting for quite a while before engine was removed. The shaft appears to be seized with dizzy shaft. I can hammer (with as much force as I dare) the shaft for the oil pump.
Before applying any more force I'd like to confirm how others removed those components and what all holds it in there. Does the shaft run on plain bearings or roller bearings?

Did you remove the oil gear from under the pcv box? The gear has to be removed first and then the distributor. The auxiliary shaft should slide out after that. A lot of the time the distributor will get damaged in the process of removing it.

It's a little shaft solidly attached to a gear:
Volvo-Penta-23-L-AQ125-Aq131-AQ-151.jpg

It sits under the oil breather box, and slides down through a bushing to engage with the slotted drive on the pump, and it meshes with the gear on the intermediate shaft (that also drives the distributor).

It is removed upward, gear and shaft together. It will need to turn slightly as it comes up, because of the angled gearing on it and the intermediate shaft.

On a 'well used' engine, a portion of the shaft that is exposed underneath the block bushing can get an accumulation of oily black crud, which can make pulling the shaft and gear upward difficult.

And on second reading, I'm not entirely sure what you're asking.

The intermediate shaft comes out of the front of the block, after the:
- distributor (if block mounted style) is removed
- oil pump drive is removed
- timing belt pulley is removed to get to the...
- front seal housing is removed (a flange on the intermediate shaft rides between it and the block).

With all that removed, the intermediate shaft can slide forward, and there shouldn't be much resistance holding it back.

And on second reading, I'm not entirely sure what you're asking.

The intermediate shaft comes out of the front of the block, after the:
- distributor (if block mounted style) is removed
- oil pump drive is removed
- timing belt pulley is removed to get to the...
- front seal housing is removed (a flange on the intermediate shaft rides between it and the block).

With all that removed, the intermediate shaft can slide forward, and there shouldn't be much resistance holding it back.

Thx! The assembly is as I thought. Looks like brute force is my only option in this case.

Back