• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

AQ130 (B20) rebuild for a 122

In what way would you control the injection in this situation? If you're cooling the charge air, would you have to have a constant injection, or a pulsed injection? Watermeth on carbs is kinda weird to me.

Bump, time to revive the thread. Due to life I was unable to acquire the kit in March. However I recently was able to contact the owner and will be purchasing it on Tuesday. Plans have changed, as the 122 will no longer be the target vehicle. I'm thinking either an 82' 242 with 302/t5 swap or a 140 series with b20 and t-5 swap. Although realistically it would be best to boost something with forged internals.

Goals: Fun, Unique, Custom/tinker project, no time deadline, budget build, equal to or less then 7.5 second 0-60.

Lets hear some ideas/thoughts on the matter. Whatever it goes in will not be a show piece so modifications to the tunnel/inner fenders/core support are acceptable.

Last edited:
B20 t5 - my vote! I wanna see a BJB20! Looks to me (from my own testing) it will meet all your goals - Fun, check... Unique-yep... Custom/tinker,lots of that... No time deadline, Yippee... Budget, whats that? 0-60, how about ~6 seconds @ 7psi

So the question is, what piston/crank/rod should I go with. B20 with b21 turbo Pistons? Or do you think a stock b20 bottom end could handle a good bit of hp/boost?

So the question is, what piston/crank/rod should I go with. B20 with b21 turbo Pistons? Or do you think a stock b20 bottom end could handle a good bit of hp/boost?

Either way, with the B21 stuff, you will need to open up the combustion chambers a fair amount to bring your CR down to a manageable level. I'm running 9.5:1 compression, F head with what appeared to be .010 taken off, .030 oversize flat top pistons, stock rods (forged) stock crank (forged 6 bolt) and so far its happy at 12 psi. Hell it was happy at 7 psi, and ran faster than my b18/20 hybrid (8.2:1 CR) at 15 psi. But I changed a few things... Different cam, some timing adjustments, new injectors, decked the block for a piston to head clearance of .030, removed some sharp edges in the combustion chamber.

So a b20 6-bolt crank and rods will do. Will the stock Pistons hold up? I'm thinking a 140 would be the best because of the room under the hood. Not keen on cutting my 122 inner fenders.

The rods, well they're lighter than m rods, may hold up... Only time will tell. Pistons, forged would be better, but I think they'd be fine with a little boost. So far the b18 ones (other than blowing rings) held up fine, no cracks or damage on the tops, lands may be a touch out of spec, but I'm not certain yet.

Remember I'm building a Frankenstein carb turbo motor though. I have a feeling the intake and carb may take some space. I'd really like to use a very small low CFM 4 barrel.
In terms of boost I believe the ch by 350 guys said they we're getting 7-9psi out of this setup in the stock configuration.

Yeah, but I still have a ton of room between the fi intake and inner fender. The 140 bay is way bigger at the front, but still narrows at runner 3 quite a bit, so I'm just saying not to rule out putting it on a 122

Ok, we'll keep the option on the table.
So let's go over a bit of the support system for this setup. We had mentioned water meth injection previously. Being that its a standard carb mount I should be able to use a carb spacer for the water meth injection correct? In fact the kit may have come with one. I'm not sure if it's simply a cooled spacer or an injection spacer. I'll check when I get the pics.
Edit* it appears to be a water meth injection spacer.

In regards to timing, should I consider a system like this? Since I'm not running fuel injection I don't plan to run a standalone system. (https://www.msdperformance.com/products/ignitions/street_and_strip/parts/6462)

Finally what type of adjustable boost controlled fpr should I be looking into?

Any other support systems I'm not thinking of?

Last edited:
Finally got some pics.

It would appear the plenum with "accel" written on it has coolant ports. I guess that's my inter cooler haha.

Still have not inspected the turbo. May require a rebuild for all I know.

Particularly excited about this. Someone was already running water meth with this setup from the looks of it.

Last edited:
Cool! I still think that if you can make an adapter for a weber/cannon manifold that will bolt that on there having the turbo downpipe routed either forward towards the radiator or from passenger side>Driver side it would fit on a 122. And you might even be able to put the turbo by the battery box (moving the battery to the trunk) and have the whole thing back there with minimal cutting.

And since the cast piece between the carb/intake dealie and the turbo are removable, you could just use standard intercooler piping to connect them, that way you have more flexibility for where you put the turbo.

Setting that plate up for water injection looks like it would be pretty easy, just need a hobbs switch, solenoid/check valve, and a bottle/pump (windshield washer?)

I could have an adapter made for the Webber intake. Only problem would be height. That, plus a carb spacer for meth injection, plus the odd accel adapter, plus a carb, plus and air filter is going to get pretty tall. Only one way to find out.
Anyone have a cheap Webber intake? Haha

I could have an adapter made for the Webber intake. Only problem would be height. That, plus a carb spacer for meth injection, plus the odd accel adapter, plus a carb, plus and air filter is going to get pretty tall. What about a custom mount designed to bolt to the twin s/u intake? Just brainstorming.

Yeah, that might do it. Another thought (dont try this at home kids) would be to separate the carb mount on the Accel kit from the bit that bolts to the intake, and blow into an FI intake manifold, or your SU manifold with a small Y bit attached in there.

Back