• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Clutch slip

monty400k

I recently fitted a 3.0 motor to a manual 2.5 960, went with a solid light weight flywheel and an 850r clutch, I explained to the garage doing the swap that the clutch arm would need spaced out due to the difference thickness of the flywheel which they seemed to understand. Car drives well, changing gear with no issues however when maneuvering the car a low speeds, particularly in reverse I can smell the clutch slipping, are they likely to have spaced the pivot point out too much or too little? Thanks

Clutch slip in the traditional sense usually shows up in high load/high gear situations. Uphill in a higher gear - ease onto the gas pedal and see if it slips or not. If not, then the pressure plate is doing its job. Not sure I understand the symptom....in my experience, low speed operation with a manual transmission REQUIRES some slipping of the clutch.

Clutch slip in the traditional sense usually shows up in high load/high gear situations. Uphill in a higher gear - ease onto the gas pedal and see if it slips or not. If not, then the pressure plate is doing its job. Not sure I understand the symptom....in my experience, low speed operation with a manual transmission REQUIRES some slipping of the clutch.

Yep, exactly what confuses me, bite point seems fine also, issue only seems to be at low speeds, clutch and flywheel are brand new so have to assume the problem is with how the arm has been spaced out...

It is on the original M90

Yep, original M90 with one of your lightened flywheels and a brand new t5 clutch, drove the car today and Id say the bite point seems low, especially considering everything is new, tried 5th gear at low speed but cant get the clutch to slip, the only issue/concern is the burning clutch smell when making low speed maneuverers

Back