• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Looking to make your car turbocharged? READ FIRST

newbie needs help. Fifth or sixth Volvo I've owned, done heads and same-engine swaps before, but this is new to me. Took a B230FT and trans out of a wrecked 89 740 Turbo, and dropped it into a 95 940 NA body I got for almost nothing, simply because I needed a car and money's short. From reading this forum, I don't need to change the fuel pump unless it gives me trouble, and I can then put the turbo fuel pump into the system; not hard. I have searched for literally hours on this site and can't find which computer I need; I have the 946 in the 95; it may run the turbo, it may not; I don't know, do you? The biggest problem I'm running into in the installation is that the engine sensor connections all look the same, and I have no way at this point of knowing which of four identical connectors connects to which of three very different sensors and an idle control. The manual's completely worthless. Help? Please?

newbie needs help. Fifth or sixth Volvo I've owned, done heads and same-engine swaps before, but this is new to me. Took a B230FT and trans out of a wrecked 89 740 Turbo, and dropped it into a 95 940 NA body I got for almost nothing, simply because I needed a car and money's short. From reading this forum, I don't need to change the fuel pump unless it gives me trouble, and I can then put the turbo fuel pump into the system; not hard. I have searched for literally hours on this site and can't find which computer I need; I have the 946 in the 95; it may run the turbo, it may not; I don't know, do you? The biggest problem I'm running into in the installation is that the engine sensor connections all look the same, and I have no way at this point of knowing which of four identical connectors connects to which of three very different sensors and an idle control. The manual's completely worthless. Help? Please?

go back and grab the ECU (fuel computer) and the EZK (ignition computer)

manual is fine, look at the wiring diagrams, trace and use a voltmeter...easy, it is all there in black and white....

I have the 89 ECU and EZK; they don't fit the physical plugs available to put them into in the 95 940. The 89 ECU is 23 pins, and the 95 ECU socket is 35 pins. I've read on here that various computers will run more than one car and engine, so if I can find an ECU adn EZK that simply plug in and run, I'd spend that money.

If I have to use the 89 ECU, I am at a rather complete loss as to how to wire it. Is there a FAQ on that, or a diagram somewhere?

Specifically, I'm thinking of getting the ECU and EZK out of a 95 940 turbo, which should, AFAIK, simply plug in and run that motor. I replaced a B230F with a B230FT, and chagned the sensors in it to the 940 sensors, so a 940 Turbo computer should run it. I think.

Last edited:
LH2.2 for the turbo, LH2.4 for the 940 (not sure about the ignition or not) so, you'll need LH2.4 computers...to wire the "wrong" computers, too much work, you'd be better off swapping wiring harnesses...

now that I think of it...you are screwed, the 940 computer will want to "see" a crank position sensor which your motor will not have, so you'll need to grab it off the n/a motor as well as the distributor

haynes or chilton manual have wiring diagrams.......with pinouts....

or go to maintence section, search for links to "greenbooks"

Yeah, I suspected I was screwed when I saw that the 740 distributor had a Hall effect sender and the 940 didn't. I have some work to do even after I get the right computer. Curses and various obscenities.

Yeah, I suspected I was screwed when I saw that the 740 distributor had a Hall effect sender and the 940 didn't. I have some work to do even after I get the right computer. Curses and various obscenities.

now that I think about it...you can use that distributor...it just won't be plugged into anything....you'll still need the correct sensor on the back of the engine block...

oh yea, and the correct flywheel or flexplate for the LH2.4..

Believe it or don't, I actually saved that sensor from the 940 trans before it went to the junk yard (it got water from a bad radiator in its fluid; all the experts said it was dying). The trans that came with the 740 doesn't have a place for it, so I might be, again, screwed. Or, if I can find the right trans, they're not expensive at salvage, and I'll have the correct motor/trans/sensor combo with the crankshaft sensor, and then there's only the question of whether I need to find another ECU and EZK. Do you know if I'll need to, or, with the right sensor, will the brains in that car run that motor?

Believe it or don't, I actually saved that sensor from the 940 trans before it went to the junk yard (it got water from a bad radiator in its fluid; all the experts said it was dying). The trans that came with the 740 doesn't have a place for it, so I might be, again, screwed. Or, if I can find the right trans, they're not expensive at salvage, and I'll have the correct motor/trans/sensor combo with the crankshaft sensor, and then there's only the question of whether I need to find another ECU and EZK. Do you know if I'll need to, or, with the right sensor, will the brains in that car run that motor?

the bracket for the sensor mounts on the engine, holes should be drilled and tapped for it already.....cut a notch in the top of the transmission....

ideally you want Turbo ECU's....the car will run with N/A ecu's, but won't know how to handle the extra boost and know how to pull timing

did you keep the flexplate with the "windows" from the 940?

my project

I have an 87 240 that I put a 93 B23FT in and used the LH2.2 and bosch fuel computers from an 89 740 turbo. Wiring was easy. In fact, the old Chrysler computer is still there just unplugged.

for anyone interested, i have a turbo for sale from a 1990 740tic it is the mitsubishi td04 rebuild less then 10k ago , car was rearended and totalled was trying to get $300 but make me an offer.
cargod78
[/URL][/IMG]

hello to everyone here @ turbo bricks, i'm a newbe on volvos, have mine, 88' 240DL, last year, thanks to my granpa, he is the one that always liked the 240's, i'm going to be honest, at first, didn't liked it, but now, i love it, and im trying to bring it back to live. So far, all i've done to it is changed the suspension springs, and i have to say, u feel the difference right away. But, my final plans on it is to turbocharge it, so i would appreciate all the references and advices i can have to reach my goal. thanks to you all and keep up with the nice projects i've seen here!!!!

get a doner

buy a doner car.... That's the only way to go. My doner was an 88 740t for $250. There are many small things you'll need that I have not seen listed on all the really great posts here. I did mine in two phases. Engine only first, drove on low comp engine with old intake, exhaust and computers. After a month of good results I put the intake, exhaust/turbo, intercooler, computers and other details in. One weekend for each step. Driving it daily now. Actually quite a simple exercise. Good luck.:)

im gonna ask a question that kind of confuses me, someone said in the early part of this thread that you can use lh2.2 harness and lh2.4 computers. Towards the end someone else said the computer from a 2.2 wouldnt work in his 2.4. so is it possible to use a 2.4 computer in a 2.2 or did i misinterpret someone along the way.

Back