• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

7/9 Updated Heater Control Valve

I considered this, but I didn't want hot air blowing in on the highway, also my AC still works, so I didnt want to make that less effective either. So far the 4 port valve works as the 2 port for climate control, and I would imagine the pressure the valve is under is a lot less since and the back of the head has got to be cooler. We'll see how long it lasts.

Was a concern when I eliminated it, however as long as my temperature control is slid to the left, I find I have no heat blowing at all - in any mode (floor face windshield, A/C or vent)

Was a concern when I eliminated it, however as long as my temperature control is slid to the left, I find I have no heat blowing at all - in any mode (floor face windshield, A/C or vent)

Mine is one of those fancy auto units. It allows small amounts of air through all vents on the highway.

Do these have a manufacturer name somewhere, or at least country of origin?

I finally found the GM AC Delco version, it's part number AC15-5543. Not sure if there's the same junk vs OEM dichotomy in the GM parts world that appears to be in the Volvo world. Sadly, I finally found the right number after ordering the Motorcraft YG-136 replacement valve - though it might not be a problem for me as I'm more of a "Rolls Royce style" driver.

Do these have a manufacturer name somewhere, or at least country of origin?

I finally found the GM AC Delco version, it's part number AC15-5543. Not sure if there's the same junk vs OEM dichotomy in the GM parts world that appears to be in the Volvo world. Sadly, I finally found the right number after ordering the Motorcraft YG-136 replacement valve - though it might not be a problem for me as I'm more of a "Rolls Royce style" driver.

It's a Balkamp unit. I didn't look to see where it was made. The balkamp radiator cap I got was made in germany, and the radiator hoses were made in australia.

Don't recall where mine was made either, came out of the Balkamp catalog as well.

Also just found, not sure if it's the same valve, came stock, or what, by an early 90's Explorer had the same style valve, looked like 5/8 ports on all 4. Looks like it's a Balkamp 6601294, which shows 4 5/8" ports, but I haven't been able to figure out the operation of it. Sells for $19.99 from Napa though.

Last edited:
Mine is one of those fancy auto units. It allows small amounts of air through all vents on the highway.

Oh, right on. My now gone '87 765 had that auto climate control. Hats off to you for finding a better replacement part for those who need it.

Just picked up this NAPA valve (660-1357). Still only $34.

Should be fairly obvious to the installer the the blocked port (nearest the plated actuator crank) goes TO the heater core....top line IIRC from the BB information.

Looking forward to keeping that hot water flowing thru the head at all times. Gary, yours still working AOK after 1.5 years?

Bump

rps20130314_203819_614.jpg

Just installed this, works great so far, install was a PITA because of my giant intake manifold, a nathan intake would make life so much easier.

Everyone should do this on their 7/9, I shall update the 944 with this in the coming months

Enjoy!

Still rocking on my car since I did this write-up. Heater output still sucks with the alum. core, but it was worse without this valve.

Damn 28* weather....

I am still not understanding the function of that valve. After mine broke I replaced the hoses to the core and did not put a replacement back in yet. It was -10F this morning and the heater ran great and warmed up quickly.

I can see a marginal increase in how fast the coolant warms up without the heater core in the circuit, but is that all it does?

The new valve is a huge improvement as everyone I know with a 7xx had that original valve break at a horrible time, but is the work involved absolutely worth the effort?

the extra effort is simply cutting the other hose as well, so not much. this valve allows coolant to flow from the back of the head back up to the water pump when closed which aids the cylinder head cooling. when open it allows greater flow thru the heater core for better heat output.

Dammit! I just replaced mine with the ****ty all plastic mushroom valve the parts stores carry (not OE style).
I've noticed the heater in the 745 isn't anywhere near as hot as the 242.

on my 91 940 i just tied the valve open...it keeps everything flowing and the heat still turns completely off when you spin it to the cold position on the dial, just cold blows through the vents

Back