• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

the heebspeed 940

ordered up the filter relocation stuff.. was going to have to happen at some point, I could have half-assed it by getting a normal non turbo filter stud and ditching the cooler, but that seemed like a waste of time. According to fedupEX's that **** will be here tomorrow. I'm about to completely take apart my nicely organized storage room so I can find the goddamn 16v fuel rails I stashed somewhere, get the throttle cable swapped over, investigate some other small things, and then probably go ahead and hook all the cooling system garbage back up minus the OE hotwater oil cooler.

Yay. Plan is to have it back on the road NA some time this weekend, and I'll start looking into the turbo swap shortly thereafter. Shouldn't take much, since the big hangup always was what to do with the oil filter stuff, I've still got some small odds and ends left to order on that front (feed and return lines, and exhaust system stuff), and I'd like some seat time with LH before strapping on the turbo.

Once it's got bewst (17 pounds of boost yeeaaaaaaaaaaawww), the transition to MS sequential will happen very quickly, if I don't do that beforehand and leave the lh harness intact. depends on what kind of mood I'm in, and how much of it for my amusement I really want to do.

maybe a drag test NA? i'm curious how it'll stack up against the stock turbo setup since pretty much nothing but the head's changed

you're my bench racing test mule, i build cars vicariously through you

hah. with the auto, it'll be slower than the turbo setup by probably a fair bit. It might mph ok, but it won't ET very well. That missing low end tq will murder it.

spaced out all the accessories (well, the ones that are attached. the a/c compressor is sorta floating out in space right now, will be addressed though), got the belts on. Hopefully the oil reloc stuff will be here today and I can go ahead and button up most everything on the lower end of the spectrum. Still haven't found my fuel rails, gotta swap the throttle cable, hook up kickdown and all the silly vacuum stuff, so still probably a couple of days out from a test drive, but getting there quickly.

really hating life right now. got the goodies from jegs for the oil filter reloc, all that is good, not exactly what I expected, but overall good. but due to various shenanigans, no time to really work on it, and as an added consolation I've gotta go stomp a mudhole in a manager at lowes, and probably walk it try as well (unrelated). What the **** ever.

anyway, the moroso remote filter adapter block is a nice piece, the cast derale filter housing is nice as well, not quite the cheap piece of **** I was expecting.

today I hope to get the hoses made up (or maybe move over the work bench with the vise so I can more easily make up the hoses, whatever), and win. yeah, that's right, win. Or lose. probably lose, that's just the way the cards have been falling for me lately :(

Well, punched holes in fingers would be more accurate... with the ss braided lines for the oil filter relocation. turned out mostly well, except that the -10 to -8 unions at the filter adapter on the block are leaking. I was afeared of that, will investigate further tomorrow.

throttle cable is on, kickdown is hooked up, wrecked the 1-way check valve with the lawn mower (whoops), so tomorrow I reckon i'll figure out the rest of the downpipe situation, tear everything apart looking for the fuel rail(s), figure out something to hook the intake stuff up, will be routed through the intercooler for simplification. hopefully driving will commence tomorrow.

the timing of this project couldn't have been any worse. I have a number of things to work out and virtually no time to work them out. it's been sitting at about 95% for the past couple of days, some minor issues to sort out, and some odds and ends left to address (like the a/c)

maybe THIS weekend I can get the damn thing wrapped up.

got the front part of the exhaust back on, yay. stripped out the wideband. boo. **** it.

Fixed the oil leak at the filter adapter, nothing two O-rings can't handle, apparently. did the matt shim on the a/c compressor, we'll see how well that works here soon.

got home and a fuel rail was waitin' for me. woohoo!

may or may not get around to working out the spacing for the a/c compressor this evening, doing this crap in small steps so I don't burn the car down in frustration.

no doubt. nothing's happened with it since then either, the new rail is just laying on top of the intake.

this $700 piece of **** moves under it's own power again. ****ing autozone, doesn't carry a 2.5 in exhaust donut, so it's got a fairly awesome exhaust leak just before the err... heh 'cat'. Tak welded the o2 sensor to the bung, ****it.

A few notes. The intake piping is best described as "whatever I had laying around". it's bad. routed through the intercooler, but really only because I didn't have enough junk to bypass the IC. Even still... WOW. I'm rocking my custom tuned 8v chips, the *only* time the wideband comes off of full lean is when it's at WOT around 3500 rpms, and it goes from full lean to mid 13's, and starts to feel alright. any other time, it's off the scale lean. it ran better (arguably) with the AMM disconnected on the retardo rich map. I'll get the ostrich on the car and get the afr's sorted out in the next few days (After I re-attach the a/c compressor that's just floating in free space right now).

the butt dyno, being what it is, I'd say above 3500, it feels like it pulls about as well as the 8v turbo setup did, it doesn't seem to taper quite as bad above 4500, but not having the TPS connected apparently results in the ecu ****ting itself right at 5k. doesn't matter, it runs back off the lean scale at that point anyway. It is obviously lacking the awesome turbo torque the 8v had right around 2000-2500rpms, I frowned a little when I slammed it to the floor the first time. This thing is going to be hi-****ing-larious with the evo8 16g on it.

got the a/c compressor spaced out and bolted back on, after doing the 500dollar mod to it. hopefully it starts working better. Discovered that the manifold/gasket is leaking badly at least around #1, will investigate that tomorrow. could be part of the excessively lean readings, but I doubt that's the whole story.

I don't really schedule these sorts of things, so it's hard to get a group going.

worked on it a good bit more today, fixed the exhaust leak at the exhaust manifold (tab on the gasket folded over somehow), got all the vacuum leaks sorted out, skinny booster installed, re-sealed the lines at the remote filter, and discovered that, once again, the OE valve cover gasket is leaking, front and back. :sigh: removal and rtv re-seal sometime soon. The afr situation has only marginally corrected itself since fixing all the vacuum leaks (go figure), at idle it lopes around 17.5ish, interestingly at WOT sub 2500 it won't go richer than about 14.8. interesting stuff. ostrich should reveal what's going on

OOO! Me too!

...hey wait a second

I'll get a couple after work. not much to look at right now.

Back